Re: Future & Draft

- ----------
> From: jwt2@lehigh.edu
> To: celtics@igtc.com
> Subject: Re: Future & Draft
> Date: Sunday, January 19, 1997 8:21 AM
>

> >I would like to know everyone's opinion on who will go 2, & 3 in the
draft
> >if (God forbid) we don't land #1(Duncan) and Vancouver & Boston are
sitting
> >at 2 & 3,a say Foyle does not enter.  I think we need to make a
> >determination on Walker & Williams this year, are they best suited for
the
> >3 spot, or 4 ? This could impact our draft selection with both our pick
&
> >Dallas'.  If we think they will mature & bulk up into a 4, we could go
with
> >a Mercer, Van Horn, or Thomas, if they are better suited for a swing
> >forward, we need to go big with a Battie, Koul, Pollard, Skinner type,
or
> >do we go for the best 2, Willoughby, Seals, Carr, Cotton, Parker ?   .
>
> The question you pose is a good one, and i don't know the answer,
> because after Duncan, it doesn't seem like anyone else is a lock to be a
great player in the league.  I guess Van Horn is the closest of the pack,
but Duncan is by far and away the best prospect.  I think that the C's
should get the best prospect they have available between all the big men
and 2 guards with their first pick, and then fill the other need with their
other first round
> pick.  The second round pick should be used to get the best player,
> reguardless of position.

Response:

Jeff I agree, Duncan is the prize, the rest, a crapshoot on who will be
productive in the NBA.  IMO they should evaluate the 2, 4 & 5  positions
and determine which will have greater depth where they might pick up a good
prospect in the second round which will be an early pick.  I still like
taking the best player available in these positions with the 1, and also
the best available with the Dallas pick which I believe will be in the 9-12
and we should get a good player with it also.  I would love to pick up a
Miles Simon in the second round.  At 6'5" he can play the point to give Wes
a rest, and with Dana at the 2 we would at least have some size in the
backcourt, he can also play the 2 with Wes giving us some additional ball
handling, scoring skills.

> >My opinion, Williams & Walker fit the same role & I like Walker's
potential
> >better, so I move Fox or Williams for a big 2, backup point since the
draft
> >is slim at point (Brent Barry ?), or 4 or 5 .  Since Walker is still
very
> >young and hopefully will bulk up, I go for who I determine is best
impact
> >player available, Battie, Thomas, Mercer, Van Horn, Fortson, Willoughby,
> >Billups, Seals or Carr, and hope we get another with the Dallas pick or
go
> >with Pollard, Vaughn
>
> I also like Walker's potential better.  I like the idea of going with the
best
> impact player available, but as long as they are not in the 6-6 to 6-8
range
> (i think everyone will agree we have enough players within that height
range).

> >My picks now based on who I expect to be available:
> >Assuming Duncan & ? (I don't know who Vancouver would pick with Rahim &
> >Reeves) go 1 & 2
> >
> >Boston 1st -Battie
>
> I don't think they would have to use their first pick to get Battie.  If
> that's who they decide to get they should trade down, or use their first
pick
> to get a 2 and then take Battie with Dallas' pick.

Response:

Based on the #'s he has been putting up against good competition , 20
points 12 rebounds, this puts him behind only Duncan & Foyle in these stats
for big man.  If this continues, and he plays well in the tournament, he
could jump like Antonio McDyess did into the top 5.     I would love to get
him with the Dallas pick, but do not think he will be there.  That is if he
enters, I think he is only a Jr.

> >Dallas - Pollard or the best 2 (Willoughby, Seals, Carr, Parker)
> >Boston 2nd - Doleac, Lawson, Keon Clark ?,   Eric Washington or Miles
Simon
> >depending if we went big or 2 on the Dallas pick.
>
> I think that once you get to the second round the strategy should chance
> getting the best player available.  The draft is going to be weak this
year,
> and so the second round will probably be slim pickings as it is, so why
> eliminate 4/5ths of who is left by going after players in one position
only?

Response:

This probably makes sense, we have not had much luck drafting for a
position in the past.  But what if the best player is a 3 ?  Do we take him
& move the odd man out ?