Re: Future & Draft

>I would like to know everyone's opinion on who will go 2, & 3 in the draft
>if (God forbid) we don't land #1(Duncan) and Vancouver & Boston are sitting
>at 2 & 3,a say Foyle does not enter.  I think we need to make a
>determination on Walker & Williams this year, are they best suited for the
>3 spot, or 4 ? This could impact our draft selection with both our pick &
>Dallas'.  If we think they will mature & bulk up into a 4, we could go with
>a Mercer, Van Horn, or Thomas, if they are better suited for a swing
>forward, we need to go big with a Battie, Koul, Pollard, Skinner type, or
>do we go for the best 2, Willoughby, Seals, Carr, Cotton, Parker ?   What
>has happened to Anthony Parker & James Collins, I have not heard anything
>on them this year.

Collins has been doing respectably this year, averaging 15.8 ppg, 2.5 steals,
and shooting 47%.  I don't think that the celtics would need to use a high
pick to get him, they have even be able to get him with a second round pick.
It's hard to tell about Parker because he doesn't play in a high profile
confrence.  The question you pose is a good one, and i don't know the answer,
because after Duncan, it doesn't seem like anyone else is a lock to be a great
player in the league.  I guess Van Horn is the closest of the pack, but Duncan
is by far and away the best prospect.  I think that the C's should get the
best prospect they have available between all the big men and 2 guards with
their first pick, and then fill the other need with their other first round
pick.  The second round pick should be used to get the best player,
reguardless of position.

>My opinion, Williams & Walker fit the same role & I like Walker's potential
>better, so I move Fox or Williams for a big 2, backup point since the draft
>is slim at point (Brent Barry ?), or 4 or 5 .  Since Walker is still very
>young and hopefully will bulk up, I go for who I determine is best impact
>player available, Battie, Thomas, Mercer, Van Horn, Fortson, Willoughby,
>Billups, Seals or Carr, and hope we get another with the Dallas pick or go
>with Pollard, Vaughn

I also like Walker's potential better.  I like the idea of going with the best
impact player available, but as long as they are not in the 6-6 to 6-8 range
(i think everyone will agree we have enough players within that height range).

>My picks now based on who I expect to be available:
>Assuming Duncan & ? (I don't know who Vancouver would pick with Rahim &
>Reeves) go 1 & 2
>
>Boston 1st -Battie

I don't think they would have to use their first pick to get Battie.  If
that's who they decide to get they should trade down, or use their first pick
to get a 2 and then take Battie with Dallas' pick.

>Dallas - Pollard or the best 2 (Willoughby, Seals, Carr, Parker)
>Boston 2nd - Doleac, Lawson, Keon Clark ?,   Eric Washington or Miles Simon
>depending if we went big or 2 on the Dallas pick.

I think that once you get to the second round the strategy should chance to
getting the best player available.  The draft is going to be weak this year,
and so the second round will probably be slim pickings as it is, so why
eliminate 4/5ths of who is left by going after players in one position only?

Jeff