Re: next year will be something

- ----------
>Glenn Han wrote
>
> > 2 through the draft (maybe not immediate impact players)
> > 	b. forward (keith vanhorn would be awesome)
>

> Glenn,
>
>   We're you the same guy who thought Michael Smith was an awesome draft
> choice back in 1989?  Every time I see Van Horn play all I can think of
is
> the second coming of Michael Smith.  All offense, zero defense.  The last
> thing this team needs is another guy playing Matador Defense (ole!).
Let's
> try and find someone who has more to contribute.
>

> 		Laytah,
>
> 		Jason

Jason,  we can look at the Michael Smith selection now and ridicule it, but
at the time it looked pretty good.  Michael Smith is still one of the most
perplexing flops in my opinion.  Here was a guy 6'11' who had good ball
handling and passing skills, could hit the 15-20 foot jumper, could have
been the next Mchale, but never did anything in the NBA.  I don't know if
he didn't have the heart to play, didn't have the attitude to play a
physical game , or what, but if you look at the 6'11" players today, how
many can dribble or pass a basketball, or step out and hit a 20 foot jumper
consistently ?  They are far and few between, and the ones than can are now
pulling down serious $$$$.   Yes it would have been nice to select a Shawn
Kemp instead, but Kemp was a young inexperienced risk, and the Celtics
were,  & still are, known for their conservatism, not their risk taking.

The Celtics will face similar decisions in the future with players like Tim
Thomas, Keon Clark (whose size & talent appear to be there, but he has only
2 years of organized basketball experience before this year , 1 high
school, 1 JC) and possibly players like Cory Benjamin.  I have seen him
play since high school and he is definitely a Grant Hill type player that
could be a star, but could be a flop also.  Look at Donyell Marshall &
Lionel Simmons they averaged 25-30 a game in college, but can't get 10 a
game in the NBA.  This is where player evaluation capability comes in, and
I don't know if the Celtics have people that can spot such talent and take
a risk that will pay off in 2-3 years.  Kevin McHale seems to be doing an
excellent job at it in Minnesota, hopefully Larry's involvement will help
us.