Re: A Computer Simulation between '86 C's and '96 Bulls

Michael , this is just that,  a fantasy simulation,  which a programmer can
program whatever outcome is desired.  The 86 Celtics playing a flawless
first half but only staying even with a 96 Bulls team playing in a watered
down half NBA, 1/4 College, 1/4 high school league ? This is ridiculous, we
all saw what was the outcome in games against the great Laker teams when
the Celtics played flawless games.  It meant 30-40 point margins, I don't
think it would be any different against Chicago.  Jordan & Pippen are good,
but McHale gave Rodman nightmares in Detroit, and who would stop the
Celtics front line inside Longley ? Salley ? Wennington ?  The Bulls have a
great team, but the quality of competition has deteriorated each decade IMO
due to the # of teams and early entries before they are ready after the big
$$.

- ----------
> From: Michael Murray <mmurray@bigfoot.com>
> To: celtics@igtc.com
> Subject: A Computer Simulation between '86 C's and '96 Bulls
> Date: Sunday, January 19, 1997 6:25 AM
>
> Flame me if you wish. I know this is pretty darn stupid, but maybe it is
> way of deciding who really is the better of these two great teams.

- -

>     EA SPORTS - '96 Bulls 108, '86 Celtics 101
>  Vintage Jordan Leads '96 Bulls over '86 Celtics
>

>                 In an NBA LIVE 97
>                 simulation, the 1996
>                 Bulls proved to be too
>                 much for the '86 Celtics,
>                 winning 108-101.
>                       The Celtics played a
>                 flawless first half but were
>                 only able to manage to stay
>                 even with the Bulls, 56-56
>                 at halftime. The second half
>                 proved the Celtics undoing,
>                 as the Bulls were more than
>                 a match for Boston in the
>                 paint and were also on fire
>                 from downtown. In the
>                 game, the Bulls were
>                 7-of-16 from three-point
>                 range, as compared to a
>                 woeful 2-of-10 for Celtics. Scottie Pippen shot 3-of-5
>                 from beyond the arc, and Michael Jordan was 2-of-3.
>                       In the post, the Bulls' triangle offense created
good
>                 shots for Jordan, Pippen, and Luc Longley. Jordan was
>                 the EA SPORTS Player of the Game, compiling 40
>                 points, 8 boards, 5 assists, 2 steals, and a block. Other
>                 Bulls in double figures were Pippen with 20 points, 5
>                 assists and 5 rebounds and Longley with 12 points and 5
>                 rebounds.
>                       The top scorer for the Celtics was Larry Bird with
25
>                 points. Guard Dennis Johnson also had a good scoring
>                 performance with 19 points but only a single assist.
>                 Fortunately for Boston, Danny Ainge (6 assists) and Bird
>                 (7 assists) picked up the passing slack.
>                       Dennis Rodman, meanwhile, was a rebounding
>                 machine as usual, collecting 14 rebounds. The athletic
>                 Bulls were generally found near the basket when the
>                 Celtics missed a shot, outrebounding Boston 41-34.
>                 With the Celtics' poor outside shooting, the Bulls
focused
>                 on boxing out Parish and McHale, limiting them to 9 and
>                 7 boards respectively.
>                       The Bulls' bench also performed well. Toni Kukoc
>                 chipped in 7 points and 2 assists, while Bill Wennington,
>                 Jud Buechler and Steve Kerr each scored 5 points. For
>                 the Celtics, Bill Walton played a steady 15 minutes in
>                 relief of Parish, contributing 6 points, 4 rebounds and 2
>                 assists. Jerry Sichting was also effective, scoring 5
points,
>                 but he was unable to get free of Harper, Jordan, or Kerr
>                 to launch a three-point attack when the Celtics attempted
>                 a comeback late in the fourth quarter.

- -

http://www.nba.com/nbaat50/teams/matchup/96bulls_86celtics_ea_boxscore.html