Future & Draft

- ----------
> From: Michael Jacobs <myfrog@gate.net>
> To: celtics@igtc.com
> Subject: Celtics / Heat game
> Date: Friday, January 17, 1997 5:23 PM
>
> After watching the Celtics / Heat game thursday night, I came away more
> confussed than ever. What the hell is ML Carr all about? What a loser. He

> should be giving MAJOR minutes to Szabo and Conlon. They are the future
of the > team, not Fox, Brown or Barros. Walker doesn't look as good as he
should> because he's playing out of position. Szabo and Conlon both have
the desire and > hustle to play big time. Its amazing how good they can
look with such limited playing time.  Since the season is a wash anyway, ML
should take the opportunity to play the life out of Szabo and  Conlon.
Also, and this is a very big point, the Celtics brass had better get into
gear and re-sign Wesley to a hugh contract before we lose him to another
team.

Michael, I agree with your ideas.  Lets give the kids the playing time at
the positions they will be playing even if a Ewing or Olajuwan takes them
to school, at least it could be some on the job training beneficial to the
future. I agree with Szabo & Conlon, they might not have the most talent,
but a lot of heart and could be good contributors off the bench in the
future.  Also we should definitely sign Wes before someone else does.

I would like to know everyone's opinion on who will go 2, & 3 in the draft
if (God forbid) we don't land #1(Duncan) and Vancouver & Boston are sitting
at 2 & 3,a say Foyle does not enter.  I think we need to make a
determination on Walker & Williams this year, are they best suited for the
3 spot, or 4 ? This could impact our draft selection with both our pick &
Dallas'.  If we think they will mature & bulk up into a 4, we could go with
a Mercer, Van Horn, or Thomas, if they are better suited for a swing
forward, we need to go big with a Battie, Koul, Pollard, Skinner type, or
do we go for the best 2, Willoughby, Seals, Carr, Cotton, Parker ?   What
has happened to Anthony Parker & James Collins, I have not heard anything
on them this year.

My opinion, Williams & Walker fit the same role & I like Walker's potential
better, so I move Fox or Williams for a big 2, backup point since the draft
is slim at point (Brent Barry ?), or 4 or 5 .  Since Walker is still very
young and hopefully will bulk up, I go for who I determine is best impact
player available, Battie, Thomas, Mercer, Van Horn, Fortson, Willoughby,
Billups, Seals or Carr, and hope we get another with the Dallas pick or go
with Pollard, Vaughn

My picks now based on who I expect to be available:
Assuming Duncan & ? (I don't know who Vancouver would pick with Rahim &
Reeves) go 1 & 2

Boston 1st -Battie
Dallas - Pollard or the best 2 (Willoughby, Seals, Carr, Parker)
Boston 2nd - Doleac, Lawson, Keon Clark ?,   Eric Washington or Miles Simon
depending if we went big or 2 on the Dallas pick.