Carr promises changes in '97

I saw this article on the Boston Globe and thought it might be of interest
to the Celtics list.

DENVER - There will be changes in 1997. There will be lineup tinkering,
offensive twists (which were worked on during recent practices) and,
possibly, a trade.

None of this should shock anyone who watched the Celtics in 1996, one of
the worst statistical years in team history. The Celtics played 81 games in
'96 and went 27-54. You have to make changes when things are that grim.

 So M.L. Carr says he eventually plans to reinsert Antoine Walker in the
starting lineup and may want to look at Alton Lister at center. Dino Radja
will be thrilled at the latter move, since it will allow him to move from
center to forward and avoid the NBA's mountainous pivot men.

 ``When I play against some guys, I like to step around them on defense and
go for the steal,'' Radja said. ``But against guys like Shaquille [O'Neal]
and [Gheorghe] Muresan, I can't even see around them because they're so
damn big.''

 Carr decided to make the changes without regard to last night's win in
Denver, the team's first of the season on the road. But a new look was
inevitable Saturday night when the Kings took the Celtics by the hand and
sent them to the corner as if they were misbehaving children.

 As for trade talk, many fans want to know: Why don't the Celtics get
involved in a deal?

 ``We're always talking about possibilities,'' Carr said. ``I'm on the
phone often talking about different things. But you can't make a deal for
the sake of making a deal. It has to be right.''

 One of the things in the Celtics' favor is that they have some flexibility
with seven players. Lister, Marty Conlon, Frank Brickowski, Todd Day, David
Wesley, Brett Szabo and Rick Fox are or have the option to be in the final
year of their contracts. So if the team made a deal, it would most likely
be for someone who is close to the end of his contract.