Re: Draft Possibilities

Interesting comments.  You will note that my pessimistic prediction re dallas
is coming all too true.  Not only are they not falling in the standings, but
they are winning!  It took a playoff team two overtimes to beat them last
night. IM sure everyone else is in the tank now, including san antonio.

Re picks.  For some reason, ESPN reported last night that the canadian teams
cant get the 1 or 2 picks.  I believe this to be wrong, but somebody should
check.  The reason they brought it up was that they think Van Horn will be
the number two.  I am no expert on him or NCAA basketball, but I think he is
seriously overrated.  It is worth noting that Larry Bird has been the
severest judge of "next Larry Bird" types, remarking of Michael SMith that he
was "just another white guy who cant run or jump."  Van Horn is better than
smith, but plays in a puffball conference, and doesn't even dominate there
most of the time.  Look at his stats.  I think Mercer is the only acceptable
consolation prize, unless Tim Thomas turns out to be coming out and a draft
camp/workout superstar.  If we need to trade to move up to do it, we should
get Mercer and Battie somehow, or some other combination, but I don't think
we should waste a top three pick on Van Horn.  Why is this guy so highly
thought of?  I think its just consistency (he's been this good since he was a
freshman) and the fact that hes a senior.  But I think he's as good as he's
gonna be, or at best a gugliotta type.  Im interested in Bird's opinion.  I
for one am much more impressed with Mercer, who I would play at 2.
       as for a big forward, i really don't see where thats a priority.  Our
best player starts there, and our best injured (and untradable) player
provides one of the leagues best backups.  (Who would be better as a backup 4
than Dino?)