Re: Draft Possibilities

JASPINDLER@aol.com wrote

> More thoughts and possibilities for the 97 draft. Based on the likelehood
of
> the C's finishing withone of the worst three records, and Dallas
finishing
> with somewhere between the 7th and 10 worst record:
>
> My assumed draft order based on what I have read, player rankings, and
who might come out early. Hopefully I have not overlooked any obvious top 5
> players:
>
> Duncan (C)
> Mercer (SG)
> Battie (C/PF)
> Thomas (PF)
> Billups (SG)
>

> PROBABLE scenarios:
>
> 1. Boston wins the #1 spot and also gets to pick 8th or 9th.  We draft
Duncan and the best available power forward or two guard.  Under this
scenario, I lean toward a big man with the Dallas pick.  Any candidates
worth drafting in the 8-9 slot?

2. Someone else gets the #1 spot due to bad pingpong karma. We get the 2nd
or 3rd pick and the 8th or 9th pick.  The only way we get the second pick
is if> we finish with a record worse than Vancouver. This leaves us with
Duncan going to the lottery winner, Mercer to the Griz and Boston taking
Battie as
 the consolation prize.

I think is going to really depend where the Dallas pick falls, what kind of
offers we receive, and who is available, and what happens with Fox & Wesley
& with free agency.

I don't see any big men worth picking available at 8-9 so I say get the big
2 or if Fox or Wesley are gone we might need to look for replacements,
especially if it's David.  I am not sure Billups will go as high as 5, I
would expect Van Horn, Fortson to be up there.  I think the best scenario
is we land Duncan, Billups, a banger like Scot Pollard, Doleac, or Jason
Lawson with the second rounder.  Hopefully move Dana, Dee and or Dino or
use Day, Lister, Brick & possibly Fox's money (around $7M ?) for a good
free agent.

We could also maybe pick some one up & trade down the Dallas pick a few
spots and take a Brian Skinner, Shea Seals, Jacque Vaughn, or Vince Carter
?

What does everyone think of Charles O'bannon as a second round pick ? Can
he play the 2 in the NBA ?  He has been a clutch player in close games this
year.

Whether we land Duncan or Battie we better add some more beef up front or
they will take a beating like Dino.