On Wed, 26 Feb 1997 packman726@aliens.com wrote:

> RE: Mercer / Duncan
> I agree that the Celtics should take Duncan over Mercer. I think that
> Duncan would stablize the center position and would be an excellent
> foundation to build a team around(a la Houston and Hakeem).  Mercer is
> very good, but the Celts have taken guards before as their #1 and where
> has it gotten them?

I can't believe there is even any discussion over this pick.  Mercer as a
guard is not a very attractive pick to me.  Anyone see the game against
Tenn. last night for Mercer?  He shot 9-23 from the field.  Five of those
were dunks/layups, so he was 4-18 with his jumpshot.  Okay, he is great on
defense and can elevate (I think over 40" vertical), but he's not a great
2-guard.  Duncan is a player to build a team around, which is really what
the Celts need these days.  I don't think I'd want to take Mercer with the
number 4 pick even.  Just my opinion.

		Chris Harris