Celtics mailing list

I think it is a little irrational to seriously assert that the NBA would
fix the draft, even for the C's.  They've got that formula so overdone
mathematically as to take all the drama out of everything.  It is now a
foregone conclusion that the lottery order will go almost exactly to
form because of what happened with Shaq.  It actually defeats the
purpose of a draft lottery.
If the C's do get Duncan, they will definitely need some talented beef
inside.  Duncan does not have the body to bang with the premier centers
of the NBA.  Mercer would be great, but don't get your hopes up.  Dallas
isn't doing that poorly.  It's also a bad move to combine our 2 picks to
move up to be assured of Duncan.  While he is the best player in the
draft, I don't see him as a bona fide superstar (as in Dream Teamer).  I
see him as a probable ALL-Star, but not in that upper echelon.
I've also been very frustrated that the C's didn't even try to get
anything done before the deadline (at least anything of consequence).
They were not even mentioned in any of the major deals or possible
deals.  It doesn't appear that they were even looking seriously.  This
will need to change.  Tim Duncan will not return the Celtics to the top
of the league by himself.  Why can't we be more aggressive in this
area?  Look at the Lakers.  They wouldn't tolerate a season like this.
West does whatever it takes to put the Lakers in the best possible
position.
I live in the West so I don't get all the inside stuff; could someone
please update me on this?  Thanks.

E. Larsen