Re: trade&draft rumors

JLyell wrote:

> ----------
> > From: J Rogy <birdrogy@ix.netcom.com>
> > To: celtics@igtc.com
> > Subject: trade&draft rumors
> > Date: Monday, February 17, 1997 8:02 AM
> >
> > Guys like Fox are a dime a dozen in the NBA.Look at our record.We need
> > Duncan & we need to make trades to compete.If we are going to get back
> > on top we need a complete overhaul of this horrible team.

I have to disagree with you on this. Fox's work ethic just can't be found in
today's players. Most guys are only concerned with making the highlight play to
get themselves on sportscenter. Only to facilitate that shoe deal. Fox has the
intangibles which are hard to find in the NBA today. Why else would his stock be
rising and his name being mentioned in the same sentence with Mullin. I do agree
we do need Duncan but not a complete overhaul. An overhaul but not a complete
one. There are certainly some working parts already in place. Any change now
might change our luck as far as the lottery goes. Unless we could unload the
likes of Dee or Dana no other trade should be considered except if they are
offering some decent first round draft picks.

> I have to agree on this one.  Until recently Fox's performance has not been
> what we expected when he was drafted. Like Todd Day he knows his contract
> is up and time to showcase his talent. If we are not going to resign him,
> we better move him before the deadline, his recent play has elevated his
> stock and we will end up with nothing.   But at least Rick has a decent
> attitude & work ethic which you can't say about half the players in the
> league.

The whole work hard in the last year of your contract theory is only good if you
plan to take your option. The question is has Fox decided to take that option or
has his recent diagnosis and subsequent battle with ADD improved his play.
Whatever it is it won't leave the Celts with nothing it will leave them with a
salary slot available either this year or next(when it really counts).

Art Silva