Re: updated draft rankings

J Lyell wrote:

>Whose rankings are these ? Dick Vitale's ?

I'm not sure whose rankings these are.  I got them from a post on
rec.sport.basketball.pro and there was no indication whose they were.  Not
Vitale's, however.

>I think Van Horn and Thomas before Battie is a reach.  Battie has put up
>20/12 numbers against some of the best teams in the country, Thomas has not
>impressed me at all, he has had only a couple really good games.  Van Horn
>has put up some good numbers, but he usually disappears in games against
>top ranked teams .  The tournament will tell for him.

The thing people like about Van Horn and Thomas is their versatility.  Battie
is a good player, but also one-dimentional in that his offensive game is
mainly an inside game, whereas Van Horn and Thomas can also step out and hit
the three.  As for Thomas, remember that he's only a freshman, and that he's
probably a couple of years off from reaching his potential.  The scouts like
him especially because of his potential, and his actual stats probably won't
hurt him any.  In Boston's case, i agree with you that Battie would suit their
needs better than Thomas or Van Horn, because we need help on the inside.  But
without that constraint, I do agree that Overall Van Horn and Thomas should be
ranked higher.

>Vaughn is a great playmaker, but with limited shooting range (Sherman
>Douglas ?), I would take Billups before him.  Also I would put Willoughby,
>Cotton, & Ed Gray ahead of Parker.  Ed Gray has quietly put up some
>respectable numbers.

I agree with you here, and there are numerous point guards I would take over
Vaughn.  I also like Willoughby, but I can't say much about Cotton, Gray or
Parker, because i haven't seen either play too much.

Jeff