Re: 1997 Draft

- ----------
> smishra stated:

> I was looking through the NBA standings and if the draft were to be now
and
> the ping pong balls fall our way, Boston would have the1st and 7th pick.
> Now extending this to the draft day:
> - Boston          takes Duncan
> - Vancouver    takes Mercer
> - Philadelphia  takes Battie
> - San Antonio  takes Tim Thomas
> - New Jersey   takes Van Horn
> - Denver          takes Raef LaFrentz
> - Boston          has a choice to take either a backup point or a big
man,
> I would try to make a trade with Denver
>                       for their choice and give them any of our player
> except Wesley, Walker, Williams and Duncan.
>                       If that does not work out trade down to get either
> Billups or Skinner.
> - Toronto         takes Antawn Jamison
> - Phoenix        take Danny Fortson
> - Golden State takes Kelvin Cato may even trade down to do that.
>                                                                   -
Mishra

Depending on how they perform in the tournament, I would expect Vancouver
to look at Battie to go with Reeves & Rahim. I don't think Lafrentz is
supposed to enter, but who knows.  So teams looking for a big man will have
to choose between the likes of Koul, Lawson, Cato, Doleac, all reaches that
high IMO.  If Lafrentz & Foyle are not there, I don't understand the Denver
trade.  Who will be available at 6 that we want that won't be at 7 ? If
they are, this picture will be totally different as it was last year with
Rahim entering.

As far as the Dallas pick, I think we need to address the need for a  big
scoring 2 guard with a Billups, Seals,  or possibly trade down a few spots,
pick up a veteran big man or 2 in the trade,  and still get Billups, Seals,
Carr or Willoughby  Vaughn, Lawson, etc.

Doesn't Cleveland have the rights to Phoenix's pick, I think someone
previously reported ?  How about swapping with Cleveland picking up Sura,
who some people like, and then picking a Brevin Knight, Jacque Vaughn,
Chauncy Billups, Cory Carr or big man like Jason Lawson or Brian Skinner ?
This makes sense to me, if the talent at 5-6 is not much different than
9-10.  But we better have a couple players we can live with at 9-10 just in
case some are selected 7-8.  This requires good pre-draft homework on who
will be going 7-8 to those teams, or through moves. Another possibility is
the Clippers & Brent Barry.

The Dallas pick could possibly end up at 5 or 6 with their recent trades.

Has anyone seen this Lamar Odom NY high school kid ?  Is he worth a risk
with the second rounder if he's there, and maybe land a Shawn Kemp or Kevin
Garnett ?

How about this:

Boston - Tim Duncan
Dallas pick move to Cleveland for Sura & their pick
Boston(from Cleveland) Billups or Vaughn
Boston 2 - Scot Pollard, Odom ?

Duncan, Pollard ?
Walker, Radja
Fox, Williams
Sura, free agent with Day, Brick & lister's $
Wesley (Billups, Knight or Vaughn ?)

I still would like to move Williams or Fox, Barros & Brown

John