Re: this and that

- ----------
> From: MBerry <MBerry@mail.journalink.com>
> To: celtics@igtc.com
> Subject: this and that
> Date: Friday, February 14, 1997 9:38 PM
>

>           A newcomer's two cents-worth on some of the recent
>           conversations:
>
>           On the available shooting guards in the upcoming draft: Only
>           Mercer excites me, and it will take no worse than a top-four
>           pick to get him (Duncan is 1, followed, in some order, by
>           Van Horn, Tim Thomas and Mercer). Even Mercer has weaknesses.
He isn't a great ball-handler or  passer (yet) but he is a good shooter,
great rebounder for a guard and tough defender.

>           If we can't get Mercer, how about a  big, athletic power
forward?  	Thomas or Adonal Foyle might  be there. I'm still not sold on
Danny 	Fortson (is he another
>           Corliss Williamson?) Let's face it, Antoine Walker and Eric
>           Williams are small forwards. They can give a few minutes at
>           the power forward spot, but will be a liability there for
>           extended minutes. We need a power forward (although if we're
>           really planning on making a splash in the '98 free agent
>           market, we could do a lot worse than Joe Smith or Antonio
>           McDyess).

If we don't land Duncan we will probably have to decide between Tony
Battie, Ron Mercer, Keith Van Horn & Tim Thomas with our pick and might be
able to get two of them with the Dallas pick which is getting better daily.
 I think Mercer is the only 2 with Stackhouse like talent, so would
consider moving the Dallas pick for Stackhouse if we land a Duncan or
Battie with the first pick, and like Stackhouse better, if he has not been
moved already.

Foyle probably will not enter & Thomas is not really a big forward, he is
in the Antoine Walker mold.  Initially I thought Walker was best suited for
the 3 spot, but he has been putting up some impressive numbers in the last
month or 2 and will continue to grow. I think he will mature into a very
good 4, but wouldn't mind some other supporting players at the position.  I
like taking a bruiser like Scot Pollard of Kansas with our 2nd round pick.
Even if we land Duncan, we will need some physical low post support.

Move Fox & Wesley to Indiana for Dale Davis & Travis Best and dump Day,
Brickowski & Lister and go get a free agent Travis Best & we could look
like:

Duncan, Pollard ?
Davis, Walker Knight ?
Walker, Williams
Stackhouse or Mercer
Best

On Derek Anderson, I am always hesitant about drafting someone who has had
a major injury in college.  There should be some decent players available
in the 30-32 slot with our second pick.  Pitino is the coach we need to put
Boston back on the free agent map.
]