this and that

          A newcomer's two cents-worth on some of the recent
          conversations:

          On the available shooting guards in the upcoming draft: Only
          Mercer excites me, and it will take no worse than a top-four
          pick to get him (Duncan is 1, followed, in some order, by
          Van Horn, Tim Thomas and Mercer).
          Even Mercer has weaknesses. He isn't a great ball-handler or
          passer (yet) but he is a good shooter, great rebounder for a
          guard and tough defender.

          If we can't get Mercer, how about a
          big, athletic power forward?  Thomas or Adonal Foyle might
          be there. I'm still not sold on Danny Fortson (is he another
          Corliss Williamson?) Let's face it, Antoine Walker and Eric
          Williams are small forwards. They can give a few minutes at
          the power forward spot, but will be a liability there for
          extended minutes. We need a power forward (although if we're
          really planning on making a splash in the '98 free agent
          market, we could do a lot worse than Joe Smith or Antonio
          McDyess).

          At the shooting guard spot, how about taking a chance on
          Derek Anderson (I'm really not a Kentucky fan, but I do
          believe Pitino is the best in the business at turning
          college players into pro players) with a second round pick?
          He would have been a lottery choice before his injury.

          Walker, Mercer, Anderson hmm... maybe they could bring
          Pitino with them...

          On the Stackhouse trade winds: I agree he's a player with
          great potential, but I don't see anything the Celtics have
          that Philly might want for him, with the exception of the
          Dallas pick. I say hold onto that at least until lottery
          time and see where it falls.

          I do hear rumors that Wesley might be on the block because
          he plans to test the free agent market this summer. He might
          fetch something from a point-guard needy team (Indiana is
          shopping Eric Dampier). I hate to see Wesley go, but if
          we're going to lose him to free agency anyway, get something
          for him now.

          Anyone else notice Wake Forest plays on a parquet floor of
          its own ... ?