Will we resign Walker?

In light of the concern over Walker and the Pitino interview with Vesecy
here is a repost of an earlier interview with Pitino that took place
November 17....

Here is a transcript of a conversation between Coach Pition and sports
radio WEEI here in Boston.
This might shed some light on what we might be looking at next summer
concerning Walker. I think we can get it done and like Homer Simpson I look
at the doughnut and see just that, the doughnut, not the hole!!

JC

Glenn Ordway, Sports Radio, WEEI Boston:

You have tremendous control of this franchise. Kevin McHale said to me if I
don’t sign Kevin Garnett for $123 million dollars I’m out of business. I
loose my franchise. Then I have to go out and sign Marbury for $80 to $100
million and Gugliotta, who is leading the league in scoring, I’ll have to
spend another $80 to $100 million. Do you have the support of the ownership
out there to develop these players and If Antoine Walker becomes a star
player do you have the financial backing that Mr. Gaston is willing to go
out there and spend the $100 million dollars so you  can fulfill your plan?
(Talk about your long winded question!!)

Coach Pitino:

Well Glenn that is the most difficult question I’ve been asked since I’ve
come to Boston and I want to answer it honestly. It’s a problem right now.
Gaston  would not have done what they did with Garnett. He could not have
done that. Financially he would have had to sell the team to do that. We
will do whatever is possible to resign Antoine Walker. The deal with Paul
is I can make all decisions unless we are dealing with a  $14 to $15
million dollar contract a year. That’s when he has to step in and only he
can answer that question honestly. If it’s a 7 to 10 million dollar
contract I can step in and say here is the deal fine. When it gets to those
numbers ($14 to !5 million) Gaston must sit down.

Ordway: What is the shut off point Rick?

Coach Pitino:

I think what we would have to do if Antoine Walker develops into that type
of player and we are talking those numbers. You are going to have to have
four to five minimum salary basketball players and then you are going to
have seven that are paid well. That’s the only way that it makes finical
sense.

Bob Ryan: That’s the way most teams are headed.

Coach Pitino: Yes that’s right. We have a Bruce Bowen on our team who is
playing at that salary and I think it really is a steal. You have to really
do your homework. Not only do your homework on the first round draft picks
but on the Bruce Bowens of the world. So it’s not filled up with guys who
can’t play it’s not a total cast system. Only Paul Gaston can answer that
question when Antoine Walker comes of age and we have to make a decision
after this season do we make a offer to him then or wait until he goes into
his third year. Only Paul can answer that question so it’s going to be out
of my hands because he is going to have to sit down with a pencil and paper
and say can we do it.

Ordway:

And what will Rick Pitino say if he says no?

Coach Pitino:

I’m hear to represent the Boston Celtics. I may disagree with him but we
have to move forward. If that happens then we would have to trade Walker
and do something like the Bucks did with Vin Baker and get back two quality
players so you don’t loose much I’ve got to put together the best team
possible so I can’t cry over it. That’s the owner. If we were the owner of
team and we were to lose $20 million dollars a year what would we do? So we
all have to put our selves in Paul’s shoes when we make decisions like that
and do the best thing for the Boston Celtics and keep driving forward for
that 17th title.