Re: TRADE NEARBY???

Could you also elaborate on what was Pitino's reply to the question "Whether
the C's will spend the big bucks on resigning Walker next year or not?"

- Mishra

Hi,

Basically, Pitino wants to resign Walker, no matter what the price, but
Gaston has publicly stated that he will not sign a player to "Garnett"
numbers...he does not like the idea of an 8 digit salary to one person.
Pitino stated that Gaston would rather spend that amount of money on a core
group of players that fit in Pitino's system than on a stud.

Vescey also said after the interview that one of the reasons that Pitino did
not sign with New Jersey some time back was the management there wanted the
team to "break even" financially...I took from that statement that they did
not want to open the checkbook for the players that Rick would want, and
that was when the talks broke down.

Pretty good interview, all things considered.

In a way, I can appreciate Gaston's view.  The only reason that salaries go
upwards is the fact that there are owners eager enough to spend the money.
I mean, Kevin Garnett is worth $120 mil or whatever he is getting? Gaston
would be crucified for letting Walker go, but at the same time, I get the
impression that in some circles it would be a huge public relations coup for
Gaston in the regard that he took a stand against ridiculous salaries.  (all
arguments aside that Walker is worth $100+)

Comments?

Darrell Hatfield

darrell@greencis.net, darrell@netcene.com.

Microsoft Site Builder Network, Level 2