Re: TRADE NEARBY???

-----Original Message-----
From: DJessen33 <DJessen33@aol.com>

> Pitino agreed about previously ripping the team apart, said he has 5-6
basketball
>players he would like to keep(specifically mentioning Billups, Mercer,
McCarty
>and Walker) and not really rip the team apart but then hedged by saying
unless
>they are able to get a 'special' player and said he has to get Walker some
>frontline help.

I read this as a really encouraging sign because he more than anyone else
understands that the opportunity is now not next year or two years down the
road. Assuming the cáp rules  to remain as is, next year we won't have
salary room to get anybody from free agency, nor will we finish low enough
to draft anybody special.

Now the question is what do we have to give in a trade? and my guess is for
a player with potential e.g. Lorenzen Wright, Ike Austin etc. we can give up
Knight, next years draft pick, even the following years draft pick  and any
of (Thomas, Jones, Dana, Dee, Ellison etc.), but for an established young
all star e.g. Baker, Gugliotta, Howard etc. <these are just examples I am
not saying these players are either available or we are out to get them>
even McCarthy, Mercer and Billups are not out of bounds.

> He specifically mentioned Billups, said he has really come
>along these last 3 weeks and thinks he really can be a special player.

I also see that as a red flag for Billups because out of Mercer, McCarthy
and Billups, he is the one who is more likely to get traded.

>I thought the important part of this interview was that it seems like THE
>CELTICS ARE ON THE VERGE OF A TRADE FOR SOME FRONTLINE HELP. THIS HAS TO BE
>IKE AUSTIN!!!!!!

Could be Ike but the question is what it would take ? because Miami won't be
interested in Knight + 1st round draft pick. If we broker a threeway deal, I
don't like Mashburn's defense enough to give up Billups.

Could you also elaborate on what was Pitino's reply to the question "Whether
the C's will spend the big bucks on resigning Walker next year or not?"

- Mishra