Stackhouse and Montross

Sixers trade Stackhouse, Montross to Pistons for Ratliff,
McKie

(c) 1997 Copyright Nando.net
(c) 1997 Associated Press

PHILADELPHIA (Dec 18, 1997 - 16:00 EST) -- Jerry Stackhouse, a cornerstone
of the
Philadelphia 76ers' rebuilding project, was traded Thursday to the Detroit
Pistons.

Stackhouse and center Eric Montross were dealt to the Pistons for
center-forward Theo Ratliff,
guard Aaron McKie and future draft considerations.

The 76ers (6-16) have the second-worst record in the NBA's Eastern
Conference and coach Larry
Brown has said he couldn't win with the mix of players he had. Stackhouse,
who can become a free
agent in July, had been considered trade bait.

Stackhouse, taken third in the 1995 NBA draft, left North Carolina after
his sophomore season. His
flashy style of play was believed to be a dynamic addition to the 76ers,
who have not had a winning
season since 1990-91.

Stackhouse was the 76ers' second-leading scorer with a 16.0 average. He
also had a career-high
.452 percentage from the field.

"Since I've been here, I haven't had an opportunity to fulfill my
potential," said Stackhouse, who
averaged 20.7 points in 81 games last season.

Montross was acquired by the 76ers in a big 1997 draft-day trade with the
New Jersey Nets.

Montross, who played with Stackhouse for one season at North Carolina in
1993-94, had a 3.4
scoring average.

Ratliff, who led the Pistons with 55 blocked shots and 5.0 rebounds per
game, gives the 76ers
needed help underneath. McKie, a Philadelphia native who played at Temple,
averaged 4.5 points
per game for Detroit.