Re: trade time

JOzersky@aol.com wrote:

> This is an odd time in the season.  We are in a losing streak, and at such a
> time everybody looks like a failure.  But what is especially alarming is that
> Pitino's system is not  working, owing largely to the lack of a
> rebounder/defender down low and a go to scoring threat on offense.  Antoine
> may morph into the latter by sesons end, adn Billups will come along, but
> this is like the offseason in that we are waiting for trade news every day.
>  When RP was with the knicks and he had this problem, he traded for Chas.
> Oakley.  Of course then he had an extra top flight center sitting around.
>
> Which brings us to Austin.  Is there any way to get him?  And if not, can we
> afford him as a free agent?  the club's finances are a little murky to me.  I
> see now Phoenix is tallking to Toronto about Damon -- i guess they want to
> corner the market on point guards.  Canby would be a valuable addition, even
> if he is a sleazeball.  this will be an interesting time, and certainly an
> interesting offseason.
>
> we must win wednesday.  after this spell and this long layover, a w is a must
>
> josh

as that post about the free agents that I stayed up almost 4 hours past
I wanted to said, we'll be 2-3 mil under the cap, certainly not enough
to sign Ike.

Now to trade for him....

Miami's roster (full strenghth)

C- Mourning   Austin   Mills   Causwell
PF- Brown     Mills    Strickland
SF- Mashburn  Majerle  Askins
SG- Lenard    Majerle  Smith   Askins
PG- Hardaway  Murdock

This shows that they actually do have a center too many.

Austin is only getting $327,000 (roughly!). They'd want to throw in one
of their chumps (in this case, quite possibly Askins, who has
dramatically fallen out of their rotation.)

I see a possible trade being-

Dee Brown and Bruce Bowen  for  Issac Austin and Keith Askins, although
some of you may say that is a one-sided trade for us, it clearly is.
BUT, it answers the problems that Pat Riley has found in the Miami game.
We may have to throw a few picks into the deal to make it sound better
for Miami.

This would be their roster

 C- Mourning  Mills    Causwell
PF- Brown     Mills    Strickland
SF- Mashburn  Majerle  Bowen
SG- Lenard    Brown    Bowen  Majerle
PG- Hardaway  Murdock  Bowen  Brown

This gives them great insurrance if Majerle's back goes out again,
allows them to get Mills into the lineup more.

Our lineup

 C- Austin   Ellison   Knight  Rogers    DeClercq
PF- Walker   Knight    Rogers  DeClercq  Thomas
SF- McCarty  Askins    Minor
SG- Mercer   Barros    Minor
PG- Edney    Billups   Barros

This gives the C's a great front line. Great depth in the front line as
well. Come draft time, if we've got our pick still, we draft a small
forward (possibly Antawn Jamison) and we've got a team that can go all
the way by the 3rd year of the Pitino era IMHO!

It's possibly a dream trade, but its a good dream.

If we had to give our #1 up, is Austin the type of player you trade a
lottery pick for?

Warwick

- --
MZ