R. Bentz Kirby wrote:

<If it were up to me, Minor would not be on the team
> as a result of his criminal behavior.  I was very saddened to hear about
> DJ.  I hope he will get some help as he doesn't seem like the kind of
> person with a "bad" attitude.  Then again, I am still wondering about
> the Bobby Cox thing with his wife.

Bentz, I was also troubled by the allegations about Minor's failure to pay child support, his seeming
indifference to his parental responsibilities, and the incident to which he pleaded guilty two years ago
(which, if I remember correctly, involved one punch -- a far cry from what DJ allegedly did).  But that's
what the penal system is for.  He made a mistake and 'fessed up.  While we absolutely should not condone
violence against women by athletes (or anyone else, for that matter), let's see if it becomes a pattern
before we strip the man of his livelihood.  Minor hasn't proven himself to be a Christian Peter or
Lawrence Phillips level lowlife.

It's a tough question.  Let's say Charles (Georgetown point guard, not Pittsburgh powerless forward) Smith
had been an All-Star caliber player.  Would you have wanted him back on the C's after he had served his
time?  On one hand, the man was responsible for two deaths.  On the other hand, he's not your typical
murderer -- it's reasonable to believe that his concentration lapsed for a moment while he was driving
down Comm. Ave. (he wasn't drunk) and simply panicked when he realized that he'd hit two pedestrians.  I
think it's tough to generalize about appropriate extra-judicial responses to criminal behavior -- I think
a lot of it has to do with one's estimation of the likelihood that it will reoccur.  In Sprewell's case, I
don't think there's much doubt.

If the NBA doesn't do the right thing and kick Sprewell out (why should the penalty for violence be any
less severe than it is for drugs or alcohol?), I hope he does get traded to Miami.  If any coach deserves
him, it's Riley.  On the other hand, maybe Charlotte is a more appropriate destination -- let's see him
try anything with Big Red!

Michael Gooen