6'4" PGs and the real problem

Warwick wrote:

<<Whoever asked about 6'4" point guards saying that they are rare look
at
this.

1- Derek Harper
2- Matt Maloney
3- Chauncey (of course)
4- Harper
5- Bobby Sura (a sg really, but plays point now)
6- Robert Pack
7- Tony Delk
8- Sam Cassell
9- Allen Iverson?
10- Jason Kidd
11- Gary Payton

those are just the best ones. Out of that list the ones with big
potential or have starred or are starring are:

Potential- Billups, Daniels, Delk, Iverson, Sura
starred- Pack (some time he did!) and Harper
starring- Kidd, Payton, Cassell (yes I know!)>>

Pack is 6'1".  Delk is 6'1" and not a true point guard.  Iverson is a
bit UNDER 6' (as is Bobby Jackson, if TNT's draft coverage is to be
believed).

I think we're all a bit too hung up on height.  Skill, strength, and
quickness are much more important.  Chauncey is built like a free safety
and has a great deal of potential at both ends.  He also has a hell of a
lot to learn.  I think the Payton comparison isn't too far off base.
Unless Toronto really is willing to give the Celtics Stoudamire and
Camby for Chauncey and anyone on the roster except Walker or Mercer, CB
should remain a Celtic.

Let's give the entire team a little time, shall we?  They're obviously
light years ahead of where they were last year, and their efforts should
be paying dividends by the All-Star break.  I'm surprised all you
armchair GMs out there aren't focused less on the backcourt situation
(where the biggest problem has been finding minutes for a bunch of solid
contributors) and more on the lack of a low-post stopper (Pervis' recent
late-game Russell-like blocks notwithstanding).  Forget Joe Smith -- I'd
rather have Donyell Marshall at this point.  The big question is what
the Celtics are going to do about an interior presence.  Rogers'
knees must be really bad, or someone smaller would be parked on IR.  Can
they look forward to addressing this need through next year's draft,
when there may be a lot of decent big guys available?  Should Chris
Wallace look to make a big run at his old pal Isaac Austin?  Can we coax
Wilt out of retirement after 24 years?

Michael Gooen

P.S.  As much as I hate to compliment Pat Riley, I had to smile at the
thought of him firing Todd Day in front of the entire team.  Would that
ML have done so last year after Day picked the fight with Greg Minor.