Re: Fox for 2mil. for 2 yrs.

A lot of these details are different from what I've read on the web from
different newspapers.  In LA, their reporting that it is a 1 year 1
million dollar deal, as Fox's agent only wanted a one year deal when it
became clear they weren't happy with the other options.

Cleveland newspapers, and Fox's agent, confirm that Fratello offered a
large multi-million, multi-year deal.  No exact figures where given, but
the number of over 3 million a year was thrown out.

Supposedly both New York and Atlanta offered the maximum 1 million that
LA also offered.  Also, Philly made the same offer.  Fox made the same
choice that several other players have, of playing for a likely
contender for less money instead of playing for a weaker team with a big
offer (Cleveland).

As to why Fox opted out, he had an agreement with the Celtics that he
would opt out and they would resign him.  This was an agreement dating
back to when he signed the deal with ML.  The idea was to get Fox more
money while allowing room for a quick salary cap manuever.
Unfortunately for Fox, soon after opting out the Celtics signed Pitino -
who decided not to honor the verbal agreement with Fox, as it was with a
different management team.  In Fox's defense, Pitino had publicly turned
down the Celtics position when he opted to go free agent - and he really
 had no reason to belive what did happen would.

I also wouldn't say the reast of the league is ignoring the numbers MLs
team put up.  Despite the 1 million Fox receives, he was one of the most
highly sought after players in the off season.  LA, New York, and
Atlanta publicly courted him, with both LA and Atlanta stating he was
their number one off season goal - this is from direct interviews with
the teams GM.  Jerry West went so far as to say the Lakers will make
know moves until they know whether or not Fox will sign with them, and
will not negotiate with other free agents until the matter is settled -
despite the likes of Cliff Robinson and Malik Sealey also being
available for similar money.

The other Boston free agent also received a lot of respect.  David
Wesley was the first free agent signed in the off season for a 6 year 22
million dollar deal.  Charlotte, a 54 win team made it clear that he was
their top priority and made it clear that he would be the starting point
guard for a contending team).  He was pursued over the likes of Sam
Cassel.

These are the only two Boston free agents who put up good numbers in MLs
system, and they were treated well by all suitors.  Being so heavily
courted by 50+ win teams is not being treated like jokes.  It will be
interesting to see what sort of year both Fox and Wesley have with their
new teams - and I'll be happy to see thrive.

I hope that in the next couple of years Boston can be in the same class
as Charlotte (good it hurts to say that) and LA, but we have a long way
to go (at least 30 wins more).  I hope Pitino's magic is still going
strong, because it seem like a lot of the top teams are getting stronger
by picking up good players with the million dollar exemption and such.

Adam