Now Who?

Barring the blockbuster trade (which for us could only be ridding
ourselves of Ellison, etc. for McDyess), our roster is nearabouts set.
In thinking about how our team will play out over their first year together,
I am ready to nominate our new point guard, Chauncey Billups, as most
valuable player.

While I would be happy to see Walker step into that position, I think he will
continue to progress in rebounding, passing and scoring to make him a
prized PF, but not a 26 point a game hero type.  He lacks the consistent
outside shot--perhaps that's all.  It may be possible for Mercer to step up
into the spotlight; he should be our most spectacular player, but I suspect
he will need some time to mature in the league.  Mills?  If he continues
what he did last year, he will add considerably from the SF position.
Only Billups, I think, will be able to step into the role as the "key" to this
new team.  And if he does, watch out, because his success (unlike Mr.
Iverson's) will be in making the whole of the team succeed.

Gene   (Bullish on the Green)