Should we have gotten more for Williams? More than Mills, Edney and two
picks??? The bottom line is that we just got better. Opportunity knocked
and we had to pull the trigger. My point is this. It has been difficult
to unlearn everything that I grew up thinking about how trades are
supposed to work, because NOW it is ALL about that cockamamie cap.(did I
spell that right?) Please correct me if I am wrong, but what we gave
Denver was the rights to Eric Williams for one year at $800,000+. After
that they are either going to have resign his no defense, no jump shot
self for an inflated free agent's salary (see G for Garnett and Grant)
or lose him for nothing, just like we would have. So why necessarily
should they be giving us sooo much? (A number 1 pick? What's so great
about a mid to late 1st rounder, anyway. See later in this rambling
post) Assuming that many among us are deluding themselves (I am) into
thinking that Walker, Billups, and Mercer will be the cornerstones
(until contract time, that is) of this team's future, some things have
got to give. And I believe that Pitino has made that call. Williams just
isn't going to be worth the money that it was going to take to keep him
after this year. Now, I liked Eric because he showed me something that I
had not seen in any of our recent first round picks. He showed me the
potential to Maybe (like a lot of others) develop into a NBA-caliber
star. Goes without saying that we never saw that in Brown, Fox, Shaw,
Smith, Earl, Barry (gulp) or anyone I'm leaving out since Bias, 'cept
Reggie, of course. After two years though, most of us agree that Eric is
best suited to be a sixth man...and that is on one of the worst teams in
the league (us).Signing a 6th man for $4 million+ for how many years
should not be a priority on a team as bad as the Celtics. That money
should be put to better use. Sorry, but dis is bizness in the 90s, IMHO.