Re: EW trade

>...the Boston Globe reported that the Celtics
>management had not even opened negotiations with Eric Williams.  EW side
>said they were very eager to negotiate an extension, and the Celtics did
>not even open negotiations.

Gee Eric, get a clue. Maybe they actually didn't want you. The Celtics had
until Oct. 1 to sign him or watch him become a free agent?...and this is
the end of August? Eric and his agent must've been shocked...SHOCKED, that
the team was actually looking to move him. If Eric Williams developed into
Chris Mills everybody on this list would be ecstatic. But "if" is the key
word in that last sentence. I really don't see any down-side to this last
move. The Celtics got rid of a mediocre small forward with a limited
offensive and defensive game who looked good on one of the worst teams in
NBA history, a player who might develop and outside shot, who might become
a better rebounder, and who might become a better defender and they
replaced him with a player who can do all those things, right now. On top
of that they also got a decent point guard. Now could they have gotten more
for Williams?...probably and maybe. But any first round draft pick is going
to be a gamble and that gamble is going to tie up money for three years.
Should they choose not to use the pick then they still "gave him away."
Pitino wants a better team right now. I have to admit that I think this, of
all his moves, was the smartest given what the team needed, and I'm
shocked...SHOCKED, that he's coming under any fire for this one. Now I have
to go to work...life sucks.

Paul M.