the Eric Williams trade- My Opinion

I think that the Eric Williams trade was a step forward. Forget about
Chris Mills and Tyus Edney for a moment or two if you can. I think that
the deal was a good one because if you look at what you wanted to get
for Eric was a middle first round pick. Look at what entails when you
get a first round pick. You get a pick to a player in the draft with a
little more skill than the players we'll probably end up getting with
those two picks. But then, we could end up squandering the pick that we
could have gotten on a BUST. If we got a BUST, then do you know what
that means. We still have to give them the 3 years unconditionally paid
contracts. We lose our salary cap space in the end of the deal. Look at
99, look at who becomes free agents from the current team. This team is
going to have a fair bit of salary cap space then, so in my honest
opinion, getting two second round picks was a good deal because if Rick
likes them they make the team and if they dont, well bye bye NOW not in
3 years time.

Now back to the signings of Chris Mills and Tyus Edney.

Someone on the list wrote that we could have signed Tyus without making
cap space which is true, but, we could never have signed Tyus because
whoever was going to sign Tyus was always going to have to sign Chris.
So therefore we needed cap space. I think that if you look at the deal
we got now we got Chris Mills, Tyus Edney and 2 2nd round picks for Eric
Williams.

Unlike most, I could never really grow an affection to Eric. I think
that Eric was always a bit of a hot head, and, I totally lost all
respect that I had for him after reading about that 100 mile an hour
high speed chase.

Chris Mills is a proven player. You never know how he could play in
Rick's style because comparing Rick's style to Mike Fratello's style is
like comparing a truck to a motorcycle, the only thing that they have in
common is that they both do the same thing.

Any comments?
- --
MZ