Three Months Ago

Three months ago when we won our 15th game it seemed that the only hope we
had was to get Duncan in the draft. We had possibly the worst coach in the
league, and a roster full of marginal players, cap gobbling contracts, and a
couple of promising young players. Our two best veterans - Fox and Wesley -
were free agents, but even so, they were not championship caliber players. It
looked to all of us (at least the realistic ones) that we had no
manueverability.

Well we didn't Duncan. But we did get Pitino. We got two very promising
players in the draft who could concievably mature into stars. We renounced
much of the team that could not make the playoffs even if everyone had stayed
healthy. But we were still saddled with marginal players with bloated
contracts.

So now, months later, we still have these 4 marginal overpaid players. Some
of us now think Brown may contribute. But somehow this team of untradeable
players, strangled by the salary cap, has added Knight, DeClerq, Massenburg,
Mills, Bowen, Edney. Never mind what we gave up - what we had before didn't
work.

Knight - Unless he surprises even Pitino he's only here as a spacesaver. He
will be productive but he is not a championship center. When the time comes
he will leave on his own at his 3 yr option, or will be dealt. $2 million
dollars? I rather spend it on him then on Brickowski + Lister.

DeClerq - Celtic fans will love this guy. He'll never be a star but remember
Kurt Rambis? He is a role player but a valuable one.

Massenburg - He is a tough rebounder. We needed someone like him to go in and
bang while Walker gets a rest, or to use along with Walker if we want to play
big.
Another player who works hard. A good fit for now.

Mills - We did not have a 3 who could hit from outside. It was either get one
or play Mercer there. We also had to improve the defense on a team that stunk
defensively and lost it's 2 best defenders as free agents.

Bowen - Pretty much an unknown. Making very little money. May be a surprise
or a bust. Looks to be Mills' back-up.

Edney - He's here to school Billups. How much he plays depends on how quickly
Billups develops. I really don't expect him to contribute much else and
neither does the brass which is why he's the only one signed for one year.

Now let's see if Pitino/Wallace can really work magic and move Ellison,
Barros, Minor, or Brown.

Let's give this lineup a chance to play together for a while, develop as a
unit, while we wait for the opportunity to fill the void in the middle.

George