Brian Grant

The local Portland media, as I touched on yesterday, are reporting this =
morning that the Brian Grant signing is a virtual lock.  The media (all =
3;print, radio and TV) is not the gospel, but here are the facts of the =
deal that they are reporting:

1.  A 7 year deal worth about $60MM.
2.  The Blazers would renounce Dudley and Cliff Robinson.  Both could be =
signed relatively cheaply.  We don't want Dudley.  This boy opted out of =
the last 3 years and $13MM of his contract on what could be the worst =
agent advice yet.  Cliff could come cheap (1 to 2MM per, for a 2 to 4 =
year deal).  He could, with strong coaching, fill out the Celtic roster =
quite nicely.  Any comments?
3.  Grant's agent has stated repeatedly that his client does not want to =
play for a rebuilding team.  This is his prime reason for leaving =
Sacramento, stating "it's not just the money".  He is most interested in =
the Lakers, with no cap room, and little room on their talented roster.  =
His agent also states, he is talking seriously with only one other team, =
than the Blazers.  His interest in immediate team success might leave =
the Celtics out, though success is coming, and would seem to cancel out =
the Blazers as well, as they have a young, immature team, more =
interested in staying out of jail, than playing deep into the playoffs.  =

Grant is a good player, no doubt, but he has been injured in the last =
year, and does have a small reputation as a tough player to coach.  But =
here again, like Robinson, if anyone can make a success out of this guy =
it would RP.

One last comment to stir the fires, I travel to Seattle frequently on =
business, and the talk on KJR radio, continues heavy on trading Kemp.  =
Many times Boston has been mentioned in the half dozen teams supposedly =
very interested in acquiring this head case.  My not have traded Eric =
and a pick for Kemp, then moving him out somewhere else for some real =
value.  Seattle is looking for a fire sale.  I know this doesn't free up =
cap space, but didn't most of think the roster was fairly well set =
anyway? =20

The item I miss most about the new NBA, is the lack of stability and =
commitment the teams and the players have to a long-term future.  It has =
truly become a Rotisserie league on a grand scale.

"Ode"
grodeg@kalama.com