Re: Kevin Garnett?

On Sun, 17 Aug 1997, JLyell wrote:

> I wouldn't touch Garnett.  All he has proven is that he has potential,
> but is no where worth the salary he is asking.  If I were mcHale I would
> move him for McDyess or Joe Smith who may have a little more interest in
> winning a championship than simply making some serious bank. This is a
> joke.

I think you're being a bit harsh on Garnett.  Why should he not go for all
of the $$$ he can get?  The Timberwolves *offered* him $102 million.  If
they had negotiated instead of going public with his agent's opening bid
($132 million), maybe they could have signed him for something in between.
The owners *are* offering this kind of ridiculous dough, thus Garnett
deserves to get it.

> Unfortunately I could see the Celtics finding themselves in the same
> position with Walker in a year.  I don't think Garnett or Walker are ever
> going to be the "go to" star that takes you to the top and can be that
> Bird/Jordan like assassin in the big games.  These salaries are getting too
> outrageous for guys like Mourning & Juwan Howard that still get schooled
> big time by the old veterans and aren't really making their teams much
> better.

The Celtics will be in exactly the same position with Antoine Walker in a
year.  However, I think Garnett is a better player, and I would trade for
him if the C's could come to a prior agreement with his agent.  As to
Garnett not ever being a "go to" star, I think that's a bit harsh, too.  I
think it is hard to judge him that way only two years out of high school.
How many players his age, whether in college or the NBA, are at his talent
level?  No, he will not be Michael Jordan, but if these kind of salaries
had been around 10 years ago, Jordan would have been worth *far* more than
6 yrs, $132 million.

> Garnett reminds me of another coming of a John Salley or Kevin Willis.

This is absolutely ridiculous.  At ages 19-20, Salley and Willis were not
in Garnett's league.

Michael Byrnes
mbyrnes@stanford.edu