Glpbe: Celtics

> [Boston Globe][Globe Sports]
>
>      [ Pass it on [Image] Related Stories [Image] Add to The Daily
>      User [Image] Discuss ]
>
>  Bird just may be getting ready to fly:
>  Brown expected to quit Pacers tomorrow
>
>  By Michael Holley and Peter May, Globe
>  Staff, 04/29/97
>
>  [Image]                   A week ago he
>  The thought of Larry Bird left town,
>  calling the shots for a   promising to say
>  team other than the       nothing until he
>  Celtics is no long shot.  returned from
>  (AP File Photo)           "the beach."
>                            Yesterday, M.L.
>  Carr was back in his Merrimac Street
>  office. And although the Celtics' coach and
>  director of basketball operations spent
>  more time assisting his ailing mother than
>  he did lounging in the North Carolina sand,
>  he was true to his word:
>
>  There were no announcements of job changes
>  while he was away; there have been no
>  announcements since his return to New
>  England late Saturday night.
>
>  There does, however, appear to be
>  significant progress with the Larry
>  Brown-to-Boston and Larry Bird-to-Indiana
>  stories. Sources believe Bird and Pacers
>  president Donnie Walsh had more than salmon
>  and chardonnay on their minds when they met
>  for dinner three nights ago in
>  Indianapolis. Some scenarios have Bird
>  taking over as Indiana coach as early as
>  this week and eventually moving into a
>  front office role similar to the one former
>  teammate Kevin McHale now has with the
>  Timberwolves.
>
>  Although losing Bird would be a tremendous
>  public relations blow to the Celtics, it is
>  known that Celtic management still bristles
>  over Bird's comments to the Globe on March
>  23 and 24. Bird, a special assistant, made
>  it clear that he had become bored with
>  watching daily basketball operations from
>  afar. The Pacers already have the Celtics'
>  permission to court Bird. There is not
>  expected to be any resistance from the team
>  if Bird's talks with the Pacers intensify.
>
>  The constant irony in this is that the
>  Celtics gave Bird permission to recruit
>  Brown, the current Indiana coach. The
>  56-year-old Brown was supposed to fly from
>  Los Angeles to Indianapolis last night. All
>  indications are that he will resign from
>  the Pacers tomorrow.
>
>  Carr did not want to comment on his status,
>  Brown's, or Bird's.
>
>  ``Until there are definitive decisions
>  made, it would be ludicrous for me to
>  comment on what's going to happen,'' Carr
>  said.
>
>  He was asked to at least acknowledge that
>  Brown is a candidate for the Celtics'
>  sideline job, a job that Carr is expected
>  to vacate.
>
>  ``Who's expecting that?'' Carr said with a
>  laugh.
>
>  He said that his mother, who has been
>  diagnosed with congestive heart failure,
>  asked him if the persistent talk about his
>  jobs was bothering him. The two of them
>  watched together as news reports indicated
> [...]

- --

GO CELTICS!!!!! GO BRUINS!!!! GO RED SOX!!!! GO BRUINS!!!! GO
CELTICS!!!! GO RED SOX!!!!! GO PATRIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
***Member of the Reggie Lewis Club***
***Member of the Larry Bird Club***             ***Member of the John
Valentin***
***Member of the Antione Walker Club***         ***Member of the Tim
Naerhing***
***Member of the Anson Carter
Club***                                      ***Member of the Cammeron
Mann Club***
***Member of the Steve Heinze Club***
***Member of the Ted Donato Club***
***Member of the Jozef Stumpel Club***