Larry Brown

>I am sorry to say that I know little beyond the Celtic realm.  Could you
>guys fill me in on Larry Brown, his style, and what you all think of him.
>
>Thanks
>
>Neal

Since I'm the one whose newsgroup post Tony imported over here, let me be
the first <g>. Larry Brown's reputation is best known for his being an
excellent coach, with an inability to stay with one team for more than a
couple years, regardless of success levels. Other than that, he is known as
a good teacher of young talent, with an extremely thorough understanding of
the game -FWIW Reggie Miller gives him a lot of credit for his own
blossoming and expanding from a limited strictly one-dimensional player. He
is also somewhat of a hardass, not quite up to Fitchian standards, who
neither offers nor accepts much bullshit from anyone. This last thing alone
is enough to consider him favorably, because we've had an excess of it with
the Cs for the last few years and it's time we had someone who deals with
the real world. However, it means a real culture shock for a team full of
players who have not been pushed with a lot of practices and shootarounds or
been expected to show discipline on the court, and who seem to have an
'older brother' relationship with their affable current coach.

>P.S. At least this season we have not heard the term
>"rebuilding/reconstruction year"

This is a joke, right? We've heard nothing but...

- -Kim

>On Thu, 17 Apr 1997, Tony Pinto wrote:

>> Kim Malo <kmalo19@idt.net> wrote:
>> >
>> >Bob Lobel reported on the Boston Channel 4 broadcasts last night and
>> >tonight that Larry Brown is the frontrunner to be the next Cs coach, with
>> >a 75% probability of it happening. Per Lobel, Brown has received the
>> >Pacer's blessing to make the move.
>> >If true, boy are these guys in for a culture shock.
>> >-Kim

Kim Malo
kmalo19@idt.net