Re: article

> Wouldn't Dennis Johnson make a good coach for the Celts? Seems like he's
had
> plenty of grooming. I feel that the best choice for the Celts coaching
job
> would be a former Celtic player, or Rick Pitino.

I don't think the C's of their own accord will nominate DJ as coach
because:
a) DJ might have refused this position in the past, looking at the state of
the team and the pressure of having to endure a losing season.
b) The C's brass doesn't think much of DJ's ability to coach otherwise he
would have been coach by now.<Heck they did not even rerew his contract
until it was due>
c) DJ himself may not have the enthusiasm to take up a challenge because if
the C's get Duncan & Thomas in the draft, the expectations for the coming
season will be very high. Failure to make the playoffs and related
milestones will be attributed to the coach and his job, reputation etc will
be in jeopardy.

I would thus get somebody in who has the head coaching experience, so let's
take an inventory of available coaches:

Phil Jackson <probable>: Phil is in last year of his contract and this is
one guy who deserves contract of 3+ mil/year. He has been able to handle
Krause at GM will easily be able to handle Carr may also teach him some Zen
and the art of winning championships. I doubt if he will be let go at
Chicago if Jordan returns.

Paul Westphal: He would be the ideal candidate. He is an ex-celtics, plays
uptempo basketball, developed young players <wesley persons, Michael Finley
etc>, has taken his  team to the championship and is a 90's kind of coach.
People say he doesn't emphasise defence to which my counter is at Phoenix
never had the personnel, talk of undersized front court, in the NBA finals
they had 6' 4" Barkley <PF/SF> take your pick, 6' 9" Miller, 6' 7"
<Dumas/Ceballos> against a chicago front court of Pippen, Bill Cartwright &
Horace Grant, but Westphal gave Bulls a run for their money even though the
Bulls won.

Chuck Daly: He would be great but will he come.

Larry Brown: He would be great and the C's need that kind of coach because
he along with Riley who emphasize on fundamentals and Walker, Duncan etc
would benefit the most. I don't mind if he leaves after three years as long
as he doesn't take our players along with him and develops them slowly.

Mike Frattello <probable>: He knows how to win games but is not a good
coach for the rookies as is evident from the minutes played by Potapenko
despite his obvious talent. Doesn't play uptempo and Red has some negative
things to say bout him. <I belive that Red may not have the power to
nominate/select a coach/player but he can definitely negate their
selection>.

George Karl: <probable>: In last year of his contract, Gaston has to play
3+ mill to him to come to Boston. The best guy for us in terms of X's and
O's, sort of a whacky pesonality. His players either love or hate him, no
middle ground.

Brian Hill: Rumour is  that Brian has signed with Vancouver so he is not
under contention. Nice guy though but if he couldn't take Magic with Penny
& Shaq to championship, I have my own doubts where he could take Boston.

The other good ones that are available are Bill Fitch, Brendon Malone, Rick
Audobato, Dick Motta, Bob Hill but I don't like them much.
 Any comments. - Mishra