Re: 1996-1997 NBA Awards

On Wed, 9 Apr 1997, Jeremy P. Ryan wrote:

> What are y'all's thoughts about the NBA awards? My humble opinion:
>

> MVP: Karl Malone (2 ppg less than MJ, better assists, FG%, rebs.,
>                   best record in West with lesser 'supporting cast')

Agreed.

> ROY: Allen Iverson (as much as I hate to admit it)

Maybe Marbury will get it.  He deserves it more because he is on a team
with some talent and still does well (ie he is not just padding numbers
out there)

> Coach: Danny Ainge (from 0-13 to playoffs)

Agreed

> 6th Man: John Starks (lights a fire when they need it)

No opinion

> Exec.: Pat Riley (even with the Juwan thing)

Knicks GM for getting LJ, Childs and Houston.

> Improved: Isaac Austin (from tub-a-lard to consistent bench presence)

No opinion.

> Comeback: Laphonso Ellis (20 ppg after knee/before achilles)

Agreed.

> All NBA:
> 1st team           2nd team          3rd team
> --- ----           --- ----          --- ----
> T. Hardaway        K. Johnson        G. Payton
> M. Jordan          E. Jones          S. Smith
> G. Hill            G. Rice           S. Pippen
> K. Malone          T. Gugliotta      A. Mason
> P. Ewing           H. Olajuwon       D. Schayes (hah!)

I put Stockton in place of Hardaway and then Payton and then Brandon.  No
KJ, no Hardaway.

> All Rookie:
> 1st team           2nd team
> Marbury            Maloney
> Iverson            Allen
> Abdur-Rahim        Kittles
> Walker             Wallace
> Camby              Knight

Iverson sucks!  Put Maloney in his place.  Seriously thouhg, Dean Garret
or Roy Rogers could go ahead of Knight.

CJM