Re: Bird & Pitino, etc.

At  2:07 AM 97.4.8 +0000, Steve Chomicz wrote:
>On Sun, 6 Apr 1997 16:07:24 +0900 (JST), you expressed these thoughts:
>

>>Why do you say this? Has Gaston meddled in the basketball end of the
>>operations?
>
>Gaston definetely has been cutting the budget each year.  The scouting
>operations is now bare ones.  This negative move was well publicized.
>Who knows what else he has cut out.
>
>-steve

As I recall the report, the scouting operation was cut *last* year at the
point when it was clear that the Celts were not going to be in the
playoffs. Someone also made the argument that with the advent of Direct TV
it is actually more efficient to stay home and analyze the competition on
the tube and be able to replay it on your VCR when necessary than to slog
it out for a week or so on the road eating hotel food and watching games
while jet-lagged.

In any case wasn't the scouting budget restored this year?

You imply other things have been cut out. Anyone know what they are?

- -Marc

(not trying to be antagonistic here, just want to get to the bottom of this).