Probability lesson

Hi guys,

Recently somebody wrote that the prob Boston getting the first pick
was 27.3% and the prob of Dallas was 8.7%.  They then concluded that
the prob for the C's to end up with the first pick is 27.3+8.7=36%.
This is correct.

Another poster pointed out that usually you must be more careful when
adding probabilities.  He was referring (I beleive) to an occaision
where somebody had tried to calculate the odds of the C's ending up
with at least one of the first three picks.  He did this by adding
the odds of them getting any of the picks individually.  This was
incorrect.

So how do you know how to add probabilities?  Good question.  Suppose
you are looking at two events E and F.  Suppose we would like to know
the probability of E or F.  This is given by the simple formula:

prob(E or F) = prob(E) + prob(F) - prob(E and F)

So if E=Boston winning the lottery and F=Dallas winning the lottery
then both E and F cannot happen.  So prob(E and F)=0 and that's why
the first poster I mentioned was correct.

If however we are talking about E=the Celtics ending up with the first
pick  and F=the C's ending up with the second pick then it is
possible to have E and F happen.  So that is why the second poster
was incorrect.

I hope that clears everything up.  As you can see probability can be
counter-intuitive even at a basic level.  It has tripped up many an
intelligent person!

Ray