Who's Not Forgotten review

Just yesterday I got the new Who tribute CD, "Who's
Not Forgotten: FDR's Tribute To The Who," which,
despite the title, is not a group of Who songs sung in
the manner of America's 32nd President. Instead, this
has leapt over all the other Who tribute CD to become
the one you must own.

The disc kicks off with Photon Band doing a near
letter-perfect copy of "Heaven and Hell" even to
having a vocalist that sounds like John. It's as if
you had a better-recorded, stereo version of the
original single. After that blast come a just as good
cover of "The Real Me" by Bastards Of Melody followed
by a powerful, rockin' "The Kids Are Alright" by The
Lolas and a has-to-be-heard cover of "Bargain" by
Dipsomaniacs with two lead guitars, one playing the
synth part. It makes you wish The Who would do it that
way live.

Other great moments are a beautifully performed "Glow
Girl" by Bigger Lovers, a cover of the Meaty Beaty Big
& Bouncy version of "I'm A Boy" by Cordalene, a very
hard rocking cover of "Squeeze Box" by The Commons
that I actually prefer to any of The Who's versions
and a cover of "Athena" by Grandfabric that really
works. They've added a swing to the verses that
propels the song better and made it sound more like an
out-take from the Small Faces' "Ogden's Nut Gone
Flake." Nancy Falkow does an excellent cover of the
rarely covered by itself "1921" that sound very close
to the album version, The Contractions do a heavy surf
instrumental cover of "My Generation" and Glowfriends
ends with an Indigo Girls style ballad version of "I
Can't Explain."

The only tracks I think might get tiresome on repeated
listens are Pat Dinizio's "Behind Blue Eyes", a live
version that plays on the song's ubiquity on FM radio
by having the audience sing half the song and a
horrible live recording of Guided By Voices' cover of
"Baba O'Riley" that is extremely overmodulated on the
recording leading to severe clipping.

Otherwise this is a remarkable collection, the first
Who tribute CD I've put in my heavy play rotation and
a must for Who fans. Order it today from:
http://www.hearnet.com/about/about_WhosNotForgotten.shtml
Proceeds from the sale of the CD benefit H.E.A.R.
(Hearing Education and Awareness for Rockers)
Dedicated to the memory of John Entwistle 1944-2002

1.Heaven and Hell  Photon Band
2.The Real Me  Bastards Of Melody
3.The Kids Are Alright  The Lolas
4.Bargain  Dipsomaniacs
5.Behind Blue Eyes - Pat Dinizio
6.Baba O'Riley  Guided By Voices
7.Long Live Rock  Tommy Conwell with Dipsomaniacs
8.Glow Girl  Bigger Lovers
9.I'm A Boy  Cordalene
10.Pictures Of Lily  Taggart
11.Athena  Grandfabric
12.Squeeze Box  The Commons
13.Mary Anne With The Shaky Hands  Chris Richards
14.I Can See For Miles  Jim Basnight
15.Substitute  Blank Pages
16.Circles  Jeremy
17.So Sad About Us  Steve Brown