Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V10 #282

>Sure, if you go asking Joe Dick in Bumfuck USA

Kevin:

I have a fwiend in Rome named Joe Dick. He has a wife you know...

> You're right there. My parents still don't have cable.

I don't now, either. Satellite dish.

> Baba? Really?

Too bad you didn't say "Oh really? so I could have replied "No, O'Riley." Yeah, I know it's the stereotypical Who song but I've been listening to it for over 30 years. 8-Track to LP (x several) to CD and multiple live versions...the radio...(sigh)...now I cringe when I hear those synth notes.

> It's like Who Religion. It *is* The Who.

LAL is The Who. As for a religion, try Star Trek.

>My first thought, honestly, was I hate Who's next album cover. It's stupid.

Jo:

Oh, you were just in a pissy mood that day. But I will admit it's a very male sort of picture.

>Welcome back, Mr. Leaman.

Scott:

You understand, saving the world from a lifesucking gutless tyrant is a BIT more important than discussing topics I've discussed endless times already while being randomly attacked by extremely small-minded bedwetting neanderthals, just for daring to express an opinion that goes over their collective heads like a blimp in a hurricane (see how many references you can spot in that one).

> "Gloria" also got me into U2. Early MTV. And
you're right - by the time of Live Aid, U2 were already very well-known.
After Live Aid, they were on there way to superstardom. And two years
later, in 1987, JOSHUA TREE confirmed that superstar status.

For me it was a more steady rise...like the next album, War, was incredible but then came their "chill out" album Unforgettable Fire (reminding me I was wide awake in America), topped by Joshua Tree...sort of like their perfect album. But they went downhill from there.

>You know, I don't hear *that much* of a Pete influence in Edge's guitar

You wouldn't, just to be contrary. But consider the types of guitarwork out there before and after Townshend arrived on the scene. Edge certainly doesn't sound like Les Paul or George Harrison or Eric Clapton or Al DiMeola...for instance.

>And I don't recall any Edge interviews where he's mentioned Pete
being an influence.

Hardly anyone ever does. Bastards!

> Now, there's *one* example of Pete's playing that made me think, "Wow, that
sounds like the Edge."

Yeah, and once I played the album Preservation by The Kinks for a friend and he said "That sounds like Bowie" to which I replied "You got that backwards, pal."

>I think the truth about Who fans at a concert knowing who Entwistle is
lies somewhere between Kevin's & Mc's opinions.

"cou-Switzerland-gh"   Excuse me, I seem to be coming down with something.

> What is your favorite Who album cover? Your least favorite?

Favorite: Tommy. Given the right grade of drug, you just flow right into it (especially while listening to the Underture)...although you gotta love the brash impertinence of the My Generation cover.

Least: A Quick One. This ain't the Monkees, chum! "Seeeee mmmmyyyy wwwaaayyy" my ass!

Just say Yes to Wes!

Cheers         ML

Please visit us on the web for frequently updated stock listings:
www.amazon.com/shops/mleaman2