Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V10 #280

>"Behind Blue Eyes" for colored contact lenses
"You Better You Bet" for state lotteries
"Trick of the Light" for light bulbs or lamps
"Going Mobile" for cars
"Love Ain't for Keeping" for divorce lawyers

Leslie:

Oh, Gawd, don't give them any more ideas!!! Why not use "Coke after coke after coke..." for Coca Cola? That at least is fitting.

>I'm not sure... I don't really take that sort of thing to heart
anymore...Pete probably says that at some point during each tour.

Mike:

Yeah, and with a history of saying one thing and then another it's very hard to take him seriously.

>was part of the band's farewell tour." ...yet I don't recall The Who billing it
as such).

They didn't, it was called the Tommy 20th Anniversary Tour. Gave me hope four years later there might be a Quad Anniversary Tour and I was righter than I knew if a bit off on the timing.

>I am glad he did change his mind, or I would never have seen them, yet I have
gotten to see them several times.

Me as well, for it afforded me an opportunity not only to see them do Quad live twice (once in the infamous Madison Square Garden) and the incredible 2000 tour, also I was fortunate enough to meet many great Who fans I'd have never seen otherwise.

>Anyway, since I missed them in 1982 ( I was just starting to get into them
and was too young to drive anywhere to see them), I am glad to have gotten
whatever they have given me since...

I refused that tour, myself, having seen them in 1975 and not wanting to dim the memory. Since you were young you might have thought it was great, but from the boots and legit releases I am glad I passed on it. Course by 1989 my memory was dimming all by itself so I went to that. It was fun, but I count it as the least of times I saw them. For me it has to be ranked thus:

1) Greensboro 1975  (lost my voice screaming at that one, they were more than I ever dreamed. Dark stage, a spotlight hits Pete in mid-leap, he hits the floor and the first chord of ICE at the same moment, the lights go up as John and Keith flail away. I'M SEEING THE WHO LIVE AFTER BEING A FAN FOR 6 YEARS! Then Rog comes running out from the back, grabs the mike sings the first verse, throws the mike straight up and turns to say something to Keith, spins and catches the mike without looking up and sings the next verse. Only 20 seconds into the show and I was already floored. The rest was, as they say, history)

2) Atlanta 2000 (I cannot exaggerate perfection, and The Relay brought tears to my eyes).

3) Raleigh 1997 (Quad a year into the tour, a smaller band and tight as Hell with an awesome 7 song acoustic encore)

4) NYC 1996  (MSG and I fell in love with Manhattan, included Billy Idol and with Phil Daniels on narration)

5) Raleigh 1989 (Amazing Journey brought tears to my eyes)

Just say Yes to Wes!

Cheers         ML

Please visit us on the web for frequently updated stock listings:
www.amazon.com/shops/mleaman2