Re: Getting Into (or sick of) The Who

> Oh, forgot to mention the HUGE Floyd phase I was into in late High
> School.

I never got into Floyd; always found them boring.

> His (Sting's) solo career appealed to a different, although probably
> broader, audience.

Right, that's all I'm saying.  I'm not defending his "light" solo music.
He just became kind of an icon after leaving the Police.  One of those
one-word icons, like Cher.  Sting.

> And, other than literally a couple of hits in 90/91 he hasn't generated
> anything worth shite in my book.

Agreed.

> I think it really pains Pete to see the solo success of Sting and even
> more so with Clapton.  He'll never get over that.

You gotta believe that, in the early '80s, Pete had thoughts about be-
coming a little more mainstream with his solo material.  He was always
complaining about how silly & immature he felt singing "My Generation"
& hopping around on stage with The Who.  I think he felt embarrassed to
an extent.  Like he was more mature than that.  But his solo shit didn't
sell.  People just shrugged their shoulders.  At some point (probably
after the poor sales of PSYCHODERELICT) he resigned himself to the fact
that he was going to be Pete Townshend, Who guitarist & songwriter, for
the rest of his life.

> They (The Police) were poised to enter the echelon of Beatles, Stones,
> Who, Zep.

I'm not so sure about that.  I'd have to disagree.

> I'd say it's the 'babe-a-licious' factor.  ;-)
> Plus she (Sinead) rocked!

Rocked - past tense.  All she does now is whisper-sing.  She hardly ever
screams anymore.  I got her new DVD (her *only* DVD, actually) & her
stage presence has gone way down hill.  She just stares at the floor &
hides those big gorgeous eyes of hers.  She used to stare down an audience
& give some looks that would send shivers down your spine.  <sigh>  My
poor Sinead.....

> Not quite that gay, but yeah.

Nothing gay about the Human League, pal.  Those chicks are hot.

> Both Nirvana and Green Day rocked.

Agree to disagree moment.  That music leaves me cold.  It's so....stupid.

> Rock is struggling to get the mush-minds away from rap.

You may be right.  Rap/Metal has had it's 15 minutes.  I can't tell you
how many times I've pulled up to a traffic light next to some dumb jock
in a pick-up truck jamming some god awful Rap/Metal bullshit.  Do these
people like getting yelled at?!  It's all such testosterone-fueled bull-
shit.  So one-dimensional.

> Oh, got to love George Clinton and the funkensteins of Parliament
> Funkadelic.

Absolutely *nothing* wrong with old-school funk.  Ohio Players, anyone?

> I think I'll write them a scathing letter.

Don't waste your energy.  Your time would be better spent on something
else.

> I'll bet money you've only listened to the one or two songs of theirs
(Soundgarden's) that happen to hit the airwaves.

That's *all* I needed to hear, my friend.  More jock-music bullshit.
Pass.

> Why you keep repeating Cake?

Just fucking with you.  I'll stop.

> I dunno.  I'm kind of in a non-music phase at the moment.

It happens.  I rarely play music at home.  Mostly, I listen in my car.
Radio absolutely sucks.  I take that back.  Actually, there are a few AM
music stations (that's right, I said AM) that I listen to in order to
hear some of those '70s songs I love so much.  Besides college radio,
FM sucks.

> But, I'm also playing my Cello much more these days,

Well, la-di-da-di-da.  Look at you.  Mr. Cultured.  Arty-farty.  Hoighty-
toighty.  (Obviously, I'm jealous.)

> and also re-committing myself to playing/learning guitar.

Good for you.

> The calluses are back on my fingers!

<insert "Pictures of Lily" joke here>

> Let's not get into all that shite again.

Good idea.  Never be afraid to tell me to "drop it."

> I dunno (again), maybe it's a result of the massive let down that the
> death of John caused, soon followed by the pedophile thang.  It was all
> such a violent reversal of direction for our beloved Who.

I hear ya'.  But aren't you at least psyched-up for the TKAA DVD?

> I'm just hoping Roger is right that they're going into the studio next
> month.

Keep dreaming.  I don't see it happening.

> Interesting how *you* haven't told us who you used to be into, or more
> importantly, who you're into now.  Hmmmm?  Hmmmm?

See my previous posts from today.  Lately, I've been getting into this
old-school drummer named Sandy Nelson (male).  He had a slight influence
on Moon.  Big-band type sound with a surf influence.  I've been buying
his albums.

County Joe & the Fish.  I dig them.  Old Gary Numan.  I bought a Herman's
Hermits CD from around '69 that has a delightful mature psychedelic sound
to it.  ABBA.  I love ABBA.

So there!  ;-p

- SCHRADE in Akron

Nature composes some of her loveliest poems for the microscope & the
telescope.
   - Theodore Roszak