Chicken or the egg........

	>From: Sroundtable@
	>Subject: The Who, Kiss and bells and whistles
>
>At first, yes, The Who engaged in wild antics because The Beatles and Stones were sucking up all >the rock and roll oxygen at the time, so our boys had to find a way to distinguish themselves.

Survey says????!
XXX

I've never seen it as an "antic".  It was a true expression of frustration and anger, which as we know is what The Who is all about.
Sure, at some point after incessant "smash your guitar" calls from the audience, it became part of the act.
But, it was genuine at the beginning.
And, that's what the tickets at that time watching The Who could understand and identify with.
You can't script that sort of thing, like a strategy for competing with other bands.
It just happened.

Kevin in VT