Re: Roger vs. Pete

> > Why am I even pondering such things?
>
> Because you are a human being.

To elaborate a little on the Word of Jon (joke), humans are curious, fear-
ful, consumed....call it what you will....with death.  It's never far from
our thoughts.  And humans tend to look for purpose & patterns in life's
events.  We've been conditioned to believe things happen for a reason, or
at least contain some sort of "deep" meaning.  So it's only natural that
you should ponder such matters.

> One that is still human.

Still conscious, you mean.

> If we don't seriously consider our own life, purpose, and destiny, we are
> in denial and are nothing but accidents.

I don't follow you.  Those in denial *are* accidents?  Or those in denial
believe themselves to *be* accidents, which you reason is false?  And I
take it by considering "our own life, purpose, and destiny," you mean find-
ing, or searching for, God, correct?

Our lives have as much purpose as we give them.  Nothing more.  We're ex-
tremely lucky to be evolved, intelligent bipeds able to explore our uni-
verse & ask questions.  To learn.  To educate ourselves.  To enjoy the brief
moment of consciousness we are given.  That's special.

An accident?  Perhaps.  But that term edits out the long complicated, evol-
utionary struggle that got us to this point.  It's no accident when you con-
sider the travails & triumphs of our early ancestors.

> I like Roger very much and he is a doer that gets things done, but Pete
> is the one that gives him something to do that has real meaning.

I'm not so sure.  This new History Channel gig of Roger's looks like it's
gonna be right up my alley.  Kind of like a combination of PBS & The Who.
Knowledge & Daltrey.  Only it's on cable.

And from the interviews Roger has been giving, Extreme History is going to
have *a lot* of meaning.  We're going to get a first-hand, visual look at
how some of the early explorers & pioneers subsisted off the land - how
difficult it was, the details involved, & the chaos-induced surprises which
cropped up.

It may not be the subtle uneasy beauty of "Imagine A Man," but our minds
*will* be expanded, nonetheless.  You can bet on that.  I can't wait.

> Pete wants to know the hidden things of man.

Alas, searching for some imagined, final truth, which always seems to be
just around the next corner.  The poor man.

> The hidden things are the real things.

Don't you believe it.  There's quite enough majesty & wonder in our universe
for us not to have to believe in fairy tales because we're afraid of death
& the unknown.  Free your mind from all that dead weight.

> The rest is temporary and the clock is ticking.

Why you believe that there's some special purpose awaiting some of us ad-
vanced bipedal hominids who have only been on this planet for not even the
last *one percent* of its 4.5 *billion* year history is beyond me.

On a less grand theme, Jon, I saw a bunch of segments of that Zeppelin
double DVD release over the weekend & I was very impressed.  And enter-
tained.  You know I'm not a huge fan of their music but the performances
on those DVDs were nothing short of amazing.

Great sound, great picture, great talent.  Bonham was incredible, so was
Page.  Hell, they *all* were!  And the freaky venues they had to play!
What a gas!  That outdoor concert in....Australia, I think!  That French
T.V. show where the audience is sitting in bleacher-like seats!  And the one
little kid in the audience is plugging his ears!  Hilarious!  Great stuff.
Really.  They were an awesome rock band.

- SCHRADE in Akron

The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worship-
ped anything but himself.
   - Sir Richard Francis Burton (1821 - 1890)