A Quick One (review of Tommy, I mean)

OK, I got my Tommy Deluxe today, and when I got home I
quickly threw it in the SACD player on the stereo. It
sounds a slight bit better, but nothing extraordinary.
And like others have noted, I like the remix better.
The drums are indeed loud on the second disc, at least
in stereo (perhaps more balanced in 5.1). Interesting
bonus tracks, but YMB studio is far and above the best
of it. And the guitar is obscured by the loud drums,
so for the moment I still prefer my bootleg version
from Livehouse To Leeds.
Then I took the SACD player from the den to the living
room 5.1 system, because only in the SACD format is it
multichannel. And spent several hours trying to find
out why I wasn't getting any signal through the
optical cable. It was hooked up properly, several
times I should say just to make sure, but it never
would work. I could get the three front channels
though analog audio, but that's it.
Most puzzling of all: my DVDs play fine and in fine
5.1, it's only the two Tommy Deluxe discs that will
not!
I'd like to know if anyone else is having this
problem...or if I'm just unlucky.
What I gather from the three front channels is it's an
interesting mix and sounds like it could be better
than any other version, or at least more spread out
and smooth. As I can hear it now, it sounds real up
front with little to no reverb. My guess is that's
what I'm not getting from the back channels.
BUT one thing I can say definitely say without
hesitation: if you don't have a 5.1 system and a SACD
player, there's no reason to get this. Unless you
absolutely MUST have the bonus tracks. The same will
probably be true of Quad 5.1. Unless this is a
defective pressing. So again, if anyone has been able
to get the 5.1 mix via a optical cable, I'd like to
know. In the meantime, I'm going to continue to work
with it myself. Maybe I've got something set wrong,
although I've been through the instructions and can't
find what it might be.

=====
Just say Yes to Wes!

        Cheers         Mark Leaman