Re: Re-Pete

Anna:

Good luck!

> Could it be "Southern Accents"?  Just a shot in the
> dark.

Jo:

It's Echo. That's the name of the CD: Echo. Southern
Accents has a brown cover with a guy bailing hay on
it. Neither represent Petty's best work.

> Yes I have Thingfish recorded on tape from the
> lp...I have some old tapes around here too bad I
> dont have a tapedeck anymore.

I can't imagine Pete doing anything remotely like
Thingfish. Or Yellow Shark. Or We're Only In It For
The Money. You Are What You Is, Lumpy Gravy, Just
Another Band From LA. And we KNOW he never did a
"oldies tribute" like Rueben And The Jets. Zappa and
Townshend were totally different. For one thing, Zappa
did comedy to get his serious work out there.
Townshend did his serious work and included some
comedy (not much). Zappa had no respect for anything.
Pete has respect for much. Pete was/is spiritual,
Zappa was (if anything) anti-spiritual. Zappa also
changed bandmembers like most people change socks.
Pete is (at least contemplating) still playing with
what's left of the people he started with.
Townshend is more forward-thinking, musically, as
well. Zappa was a lot more like a Jazz musician,
playing performance Art rather than creating Art and
then performing it. A lot of Zappa's "studio"
recordings are spontaneous live performances.
Townshend, on the other hand, is a studio man from the
beginning (as the Scoops prove). Pete was conciously
trying to create something interesting if not
innovative, Frank was (as often as not) merely trying
to shock. I have to give Frank the nod when it comes
to varying styles...there's a LOT more variation in
Zappa's music. But most importantly, the lyrics...no
one yet has come up with anyone who was even close to
Pete lyrically. Dylan would qualify, even beat Pete,
but his music doesn't come close.
However I do wish Pete would release a live series
like Zappa's excellent You Can't Do That On Stage
Anymore set. 12 hours of live Who covering their
career...could we stand it?

=====
Just say Yes to Wes!

        Cheers         Mark Leaman