Re: Re-Pete & Todd is Godd & repeating old Pete

> What about Tom Petty?

Mc:

Not enough variety in his sound. And too derivative.
His sound is pure Roger McGuinn/Byrds. And it's never
changed much. With The Who, every album sounded
different from the last, until WAY anyway.

> Hmmmm, without rooting about the archives, I'd say
> Pete's had a pretty good
> run of production outside the Who - Thunderclap
Newman

John:

All I can think of is Newman and Arthur Brown, unless
you count many minor projects like Peppermint whatever
that was. Rundgren, as you say, had many projects
which are considered major albums. And, too, Rundgren
produced all his own stuff...Pete only did Quad. He
doesn't even produce his solo material. I'd say
Rundgren is more about the SOUND and Pete is more
about the SONGS.

> And what exactly are Dogs and Silas Stingy if not
> very silly??? :-)

Silas was written by John, as I'm sure you realized
seconds after hiting the "send" button. But I'll grant
you Pete has some silly offerings...almost all in the
60's, before he began writing serious works. Please
don't mention Did You Steal My Money and How Can You
Do It Alone. I beg of you.

> factors, the main of which is he has the same kind
> of effect on me emotionally as Pete.

Fair enough; there's no way I can measure that. It's
going to be different for everyone. For me personally,
Rundgren and Utopia is more like the Guess Who than
The Who.

> Sure, Todd has come out with some pop cliches in his
> time, but look at the
> more iconoclastic material such as Initiation, the
> Wheel, Healing, Second
> Wind, Utopia, Acapella, Nearly Human and A wizard a
> true star.

Even Wizard/True Star has its Pop moments
("Dal-Dal-Dali don't cry..."), but I didn't mean he
played Pop cliches...he used them, he intentionally
played with them and made them his tools of the trade,
like the paint on a canvas if you see what I mean.
Worked cliches that existed and made them fresh again.

> Even material such as Adventures in Utopia, Oops
> Wrong planet POV Swing to
> the right and Oblivion contain some strong tunes and
> songs.

I own them all. The only official release I lack now
on CD is Deface The Music, and it's just too damned
expensive. I made a CD of it from my LP. Oh, yeah, and
the first Utopia album. I also own the LP of that, and
have since it was released.

> Beatles that that album is as breathtaking as I do.

I'd have to give it to the Rutles, but I do enjoy Hoi
Poloi quite a bit. OK, all of the songs are good.

> And in his own way he has paralleled Pete with his
> restless experimentation
> in electronic music, synths and the web - which has
> produced some
> extraordinary material like the Individualist.

He used them MUCH more than Pete. Pete dabbled, Todd
dived off the deep end. With sometimes remarkable
results, sometimes less so.

> a band after success as a solo artiste in any way
> invalidates my opinion
> that Todd in his own way is an American equivalent
> to Pete - a musical
> genius.

Nothing invalidates your opinion. I was just pointing
out obvious opposites.

> I hate to bring this all up again but I have some

Scott:

IT...NEVER...ENDS!

> But what about Quote #2?  "I have looked at child
> porn sites maybe *three
> or four times* in all, the *front pages &
> previews.*"

"Looked at" but not entered. There you are, case
solved, can we move on now? Oh, and I want to make it
clear my statement in no way indicates I agree with
House.

> But to get to a "front page" or a "preview" of a
> site from a portal site
> one has to click on one of the banner listings &
> they will then be taken

How long have YOU been on the Internet??? I've gone to
such searching with Google! Boom, you're there. Back
out FAST.
And, for the record, I never used my credit card AT
ALL.

> Hoping someone can sharpen the fuzziness.

Kevin:

OK...here's some info for you: Pete has never ever
been consistant in his statements about anything.
Feel better now? If not, take two Bob and call me in
the morning.

> They seem to be different stories, but the
> underlying message is
> that Pete is not a pedophile.

Joe:

Clearly. Obviously. Thank you.

=====
"I feel like God wants me to run for president."
         George "I'm completely insane" Bush

                     Cheers         ML