Re: who DVD idea (plus a note to schrade)

> with the release of that new rolling stones Live DVD package of their
> last tour (only at best buy by the way), i've decided to propose an
> idea of my own for a who DVD of the same sort.  (mind you, its just an
> idea):

I saw parts of that Stones 4-DVD release.  The Who get upstaged again.
<sigh>  Watching that makes The Who look like a miniscule club band.

It only reaffirms that the Stones *are* the greatest rock & roll band.
The Who may be the greatest "something," but as far as longevity, profes-
sionalism, marketing, creativity, stature, & drive - the Stones are
supreme leaders.

I'm not saying I like their music better; of course I don't.  But I must
admit, I got jealous as hell watching that Stones 4-DVD release.

"Gee, The Who don't rehearse 200 songs before embarking on a tour."

"Gee, The Who don't launch *their* tours with neat, promotional press
conferences anymore."

"Gee, Roger Daltrey wouldn't be able to introduce the band in French."

Seeing all that, & especially the documentary on what goes into a Stones
tour, just made The Who seem puny by comparison.

I know I shouldn't get jealous; I know I shouldn't compare the two bands;
I know I shouldn't worry about things like "legacy" & "public opinion" -
but I do.

I want everyone in the world to realize that The Who are No.1.  The best.
The greatest.  But it seems like they're always shooting themselves in
the foot.  Always destined to be hovering just outside the mainstream.

I know, I know.... it's better that way.  Sure.  Our little secret.  We
know the truth.  Blah, blah, blah....

It still bothers me, though.

> "the who Live" (working title)

Very original!  ;-)

> disc 1: "QUADROPHENIA"
> - "quadrophenia" Live at madison square garden 1996

Yes, an official release from this tour *would* be nice.

> - interviews w. roger daltrey and pete townshend

Good idea.  That Stones release was jam-packed with interview snippets
& bonus features.

> disc 2: "TOMMY"
> - "tommy" Live at the universal amphitheater w. special guests. 1989

Ugh. '89?  Ugh.  You seem to be picking stuff that's fairly recent (even
though '89 seems such a long time ago).  I don't know if I like the
idea of both "Who Review" tours being represented.  The Big Band Who.

> disc 3: "the stadium show"
> - Live at giants stadium 1989

Ugh.  More '89?  You're killing me, Ernie.

> disc 4: "the arena show"
> - Live at the palace of auburn hills in detroit. 6/27/00

Good idea.  Edit out the sloppy songs, though.

> disc 5: "the club show"
> - Live at the house of blues in chicago. 1999

OK.

> disc 6: "the amphitheater show"
> - Live at the tweeter center in camden. 7/27/02

Yes.  Why let this one sit on the shelf?

> so, this is my idea.  might sound stupid, or a bit stupid, but it
> should leave ya thinking. ; )

I like the concept.  Thanks for taking the time to post your ideas.  I
like your plan of including all the extra stuff: interviews, rehearsal
footage, etc.  It would be a fairly thorough representation of the Who's
last 15 years.  Saving the earlier, pre-'89 stuff for a future release.
You perhaps included too much '89 material but that's debatable.

> note to schrade: i KNOW that i taped the BTM with sinead but last i
> looked, I couldn't find it. i'll try again though. maybe something I
> missed.

No biggie.  Don't worry about it.  I've got plenty of Sinead to satisfy
me.  ;-)

- SCHRADE in Akron