Roger and the Duchess

Nov.11, 2003
Roger attended opening Nov. 11 of #500,000 facility for teenagers with cancer
at Alder Hey Hospital, in Liverpool.
Also attending was the Duchess of York Sarah Ferguson.

http://www.news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=2164419

      Cancer Unit for Teenagers Opened by Duchess

      By Matt Laddin, PA News

      Sarah, Duchess of York opened a new cancer unit today designed to
provide care for teenagers.

      The Duchess was joined at the official launch of the #500,000 facility
at Alder Hey Hospital, in Liverpool, by Express Newspapers proprietor Richard
Desmond and rock star Roger Daltrey.

      Opening the centre, which has room for six young patients, Sarah said:
"It's vitally important that we look after these teenagers - they are our
future."

      She was given a tour of the Teenage Cancer Trust Unit, which includes a
fully-equipped kitchen, DVD player, pool table and spare room for family
members to stay overnight.

      The Duchess said: "Alder Hey understands that teenagers must have the
right to have dignity."

      Teenagers are often treated in inappropriate facilities alongside very
young children or older people.

      Sarah added: "In this age range six teenagers are diagnosed each day
with cancer.

      "The right surroundings can improve their chances by 15%."

      She took time to meet the young patients and their families, and chat to
them about their treatment.

      Daltrey said: "With the National Health Service, as far as the
Government is concerned, teenagers do not exist.

      "I think it's a disgrace that there are not more units.

      "It would only cost around #25 to #30 million to cover units like this
across the country."