Deluxe Tommy

Mark wrote:

<<This is definitely NOT the ultimate Tommy. I now
think it's the 2nd worst, coming in after the original
CD release. All it does is remind me of why I like the
remixed version so much. I'll stick to that one, I
think.>>

I believe I have the original CD release of 'Tommy,'
but I've never gotten real confirmation as to it.
Unless there have been more than two CD releases of
the album (not including the latest), I've always
suspected I got the original because it's only got
song lyrics and some pictures for liner notes, and no
in-depth discussions on the songs and the making of
the album, like the other liner notes on Who CDs
feature.  The CD itself also looks very
first-generationish, being plain dark grey and just
listing the tracks in plain black print, nothing fancy
like the CD designs of, for example, O&S or LAL.  It
also has alternate titles of some of the songs listed
on back, different from the titles given on the actual
CD (such as 'The Hawker' vs. 'Eyesight to the Blind'
and '1921' vs. 'You Didn't See It' alternately
appearing as titles on the same CD packaging).

Even if the sound really is better on the '96 CD, and
it certainly does contain the liner notes I'm missing,
I'd never trade up my old CD; this was my first Who
album after all, and only cost me $8 in a vintage
music store!

=====
Anna U. Mormack
Welcome to My World: