The Frankenstein Myth

All the talk about the sale of OX's "Frankenstein bass" got me thinking.

As the story goes, this guitar is made up of pieces of other bass guitars
that OX smashed.

My question:  When was OX smashing all these basses?  In my years of read-
ing about The Who, I think I've heard it mentioned that possibly, on *one*
occasion, OX smashed his bass.  (Actually, the better story I've read is
that after one really heavy-duty raucous round of equipment smashing by
Pete & Keith, OX supposedly "got into the action" by gently knocking over
his microphone stand!  *That* I can picture!)

So, can anyone confirm that OX was indeed smashing up basses with high
frequency in the 60's?  Or should we just put this story down under the
lengthy column of anecdotes entitled "Who Hyperbole?"

- SCHRADE in Akron