Re: Know your enemy & Nuff said on Pete: who was harmed? & Pissed at Pete Too !!!! & Woke up Free but Branded by his Fans Too?

From: John Hughes <john@pureneasy.fsnet.co.uk>

I wonder if you can imagine how slack jawed my colleagues were when I
said much the same thing the other day?? :-)
Which, that drugs should be legalized or that penalties for using them had been reduced?

Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 20:10:45 EDT
From: Keithjmoon70@aol.com

NO one in the universe can sell me on the harmlessness of drugs.
I would never try, because I believe they ARE harmful. But I still think it's an individual's right to decide for him/herself to use them or not. Legalizing them would have the side benefit of destroying the drug-trafficking industry, with its associated murders, prostitution, and other crimes, at a stroke, as prices plummeted to 15% or so of the current costs. The current situation is Prohibition all over again, which was a clear demonstration for those who needed it of the futility of outlawing a drug.

She then became a  heroin addict when she was just 13 years old. Now she is
36, still an addict (for life) and in prison.  Who was there to watch her  3
kids through much of this? Who kept *them* from getting raped?  Who paid for
the 8 wrecked cars? Who turned her in? Who showed her A different Bomb?  Me.
She's beyond lucky to have you, Jon. My admiration to you for your loyalty.

Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 11:28:20 -0400
From: "Kevin O'Neal" <kevinandt@gmavt.net>

FWIW, I would never say that heroin is not all that bad for you, and I
still want it, along with crack and you name it, legalized.

Wha?
Why Allan!  How....um......liberal of you!
'Tis, isn't it? Thought I would have mentioned it in this forum by now. The flip side is that if you decide to use drugs, it's not the government's problem to get you out of them. Don't worry, I have positions that alienate liberals *and* conservatives. One is that taxes as such are immoral and would not exist in a fully moral society.

I'm all for letting people make their own choices, but with the defunct
capitalist healthcare system we have in this country, we couldn't *afford*
to let Heroin be legal.
It's an catchy assertion, but the healthcare system is not defunct, as I can clearly demonstrate with my past few years of medical records and the fact that people come here from all over the world for treatment. What troubles the system *does* have could be cured by introducing *more* capitalism -- at base, stop treating skilled doctors as community resources, rather as individuals offering a service at market rates.

I trust I've lost my liberal credentials by now? Happy to discuss these non-Who topics offline if anyone cares.

Cheers,
--
Alan
"That's unbelievable, if that's true"